Sophronitis cernua

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrchidIsa

Reaction score
A little cutie :) I know it's not a novelty for anyone here but I find it really sweet. Wanted to show you

... and I grow it intermediate with all the others in my orchidarium. So it's a specially easy one I got maybe :)

It's beautiful! I love this species. If it's blooming now, it must've just come from South America....yes? This is a fall bloomer. Also, Sophronitis cernua is a warm grower, NOT a cold grower. If you grow it cold, it will rot! When I kept my greenhouse about 10*F warmer at night in the winter, my cernua grew into a spectacular specimen. Now that I keep my greenhouse cool in the winter to save fuel cost, I have problems with this species.

Soph. cernua grow well and bloom for me here in Louisiana, so they certainly can tolerate some heat.

I got this one from J&L. Don't know where it came from! :)
Maybe J&L imported it recently.....or, it's just a little confused. It happens now and then. It is about 6 months late....or early.

'Sure is cute and I LOVE the colour of these.

As for cool being "relative". I disagree. In this context, "cool" is not "relative". Sorry Eric. When it comes to growing orchids, cool, intermediate and warm are fairly standardised terms. Cool is generally considered to be about 50*F night-time temperatures, give or take a few degrees; 60*F is generally considered to be intermediate, give or take.....and 70*F is generally considered to be warm. Hot is over 75*F.

Sophronitis coccinea grows cool and many people do have difficulty providing that on a consistent basis. But, Sophronitis cernua likes warm nights = 70*F. I don't think there are many places in the world where you'd consider 70*F night-time temperature to be cool....and you'd have trouble getting down to that.

Yep grow it as you would Cattleya intermedia. They grow on the same tree in Santa Catarina (I think)
JM, did you get my PM?

Latest posts

Back