Schomburgkia moyobambae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikv

This is the first Schomburgkia that I ever purchased and it still remains one of my favorites. The plant grows virorously for me. In fact, it's ready to be divided next spring. The inflorescence is about six feet tall.

IMG_2241a.jpg

full head of flowers. I didn't bother to count them.

IMG_2240a.jpg

the best I could do for a close-up with my handheld digicam.

IMG_2230a.jpg

bottom portion of the Full Plant Photo that NYEric would no doubt request.

IMG_2231a.jpg

and the top half.

Some people would reclassify this species as a Laelia. I won't bother updating my tag since I still think of it as a Schomburgkia.

Best Regards,
Nik

I love it! Mine is in spike right now (2 spikes). I've never had a 6' spike, though. How do you grow yours? How big is the plant?

I hadn't heard that this one was moved to Laelia.

How do you grow yours? How big is the plant?
I grow it in a 12-inch hanging basket near the roof of the greenhouse for most of the year where it receives fairly bright light. When the spike began growing, I had to take it down and place it on the floor to give it room to grow. The plant itself has about a dozen pseudobulbs with the largest being about 18 inches tall (including leaves). The only fertilizer that it receives is 20-20-20 Osmocote which applied about once per year. It seems to be happy.

Back