Phragmipedium Red Wing (Robert C Silich x besseae)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever the Robert C Silich has (perhaps besseae, I don't know much about phrags names at all), this looks like a super besseae!

Great shape and color!

Your plant has very clean leaves.
One thing I hate about phrags is that the leaves.
A few nursery visits reveal that these plants usually have horrible leaves.
Many had their tips trimmed off for obvious reasons, and the ones with whole leaves had browning tips (large portion too!) and spots and unsightly marks. Ones that look like your plant in this photo was far and few between.

Happypaphy7 : some of my Phrags have ugly leaves, although most of them have nice ones. My large Andean Tears is not has nice as it was before... I think the plant needs dividing and repotting, but I am lazy about doing this on very large plant.... and I have found my 2 yellow Maria Glanz to be tricky to grow... as long as my yellow besseae. I think they need "cleaner" water than all my other Phrags.

Beautiful red Phrag. Have you tried hybridizing with it?

No, not yet. Maybe I should take the pollen and put it on some large everblooming Phrags on the living areas of the house (Autumn Fire, Cardinale, Evening Blaze ? I think Autumn Fire could be a good choice. I try some cross with Evenin Blaze and it didn't take. Guess it is a true 3N).

I have a big Jason Fischer too but I wonder if it could be an interesting improvement to cross RW with a JF.

And maybe I can keep pollen for crossing with my kovachii (it looks like it is spiking...:) ).

I have seen at least several amazing Phrag Red Wing at Orchid's Limited who originated/named the cross and got it awarded (RJ Quene in 2006).

Red Wing is Jason Fischer x Memoria Dick Clements (MDC) and most of you know that Jason Fischer is already MDC x besseae and MDC is besseae x sargentianum. So, Red Wing is mostly besseae with a portion of sargentianum thrown in. How Red Wing turns out depends completely on the quality of the besseae and sargentianum in the different crosses. It takes careful selection to end up with the very red ones. I am remembering that the best Red Wing cross at Orchids Limited was with tetraploid 'Rob's Choice' so the Red Wing was a triploid and probably not able to breed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back