Phrag. (Icho Tower x besseae flavum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

After posting pictures of Phrag. kovachi, it is hard to post pictures that will even come close.....but here is a little cutie I had to share:

It is a new cross between one of our Icho Tower's (made with besseae flavum), backcrossed onto a besseae flavum. The flower looks very similar to a regular besseae flavum, except it has dark red spots on the inside of the rim, and a little picotee red edge along the petals. Also I think the yellow is more intense and darker in color compared to a regular besseae flavum.

PhragIchoTowerxbesseae.jpg

The genetics are pretty interesting of this plant, and shows you that you still can get offspring from plants that are not always diploid or tetraploid parents.

This is a picture of the Phrag. Icho Tower that we used:
PhragIchoTowerTowerInferno-close-72.jpg

The Icho Tower was a cross between a triploid Phrag. Beauport (=Hanne Popow 4N x sargentianum 2N) and our tetraploid besseae flavum 'Taiyo' 4N. I am assuming that the Icho Tower was either also a 4N, but most probable it was an aneuploid (inbetween a 3N and a 4N). What is interesting was that is was still able to breed back onto a diploid.

Robert

Its a little mooshed looking, is it fully opened?
The Icho Tower that you used has great color.

Very nice outcome!!! It would be very nice if properly formed!! The parent is great too!

I love the Icho Tower, :smitten: but I'm not as fond of the back cross, although I really like the picotee effect. Maybe it'll straighten up with further blooming. But I don't see how you can improve on the Icho Tower.

WOW, I really like the bright yellow, which is accentuated by the flashes of red, without becoming muddy or washed out. For me, the Icho tower flower doesn't have the punch of eye striking color, with its blended peachy tones. It will be interesting to see how this performs as the plant matures, if the staminode will flatten out, if the form improves a bit. Was this a productive cross, and are there other plants in bud? It would be nice to see a group of siblings from this cross to assess the potential.

WOW, I really like the bright yellow, which is accentuated by the flashes of red, without becoming muddy or washed out. For me, the Icho tower flower doesn't have the punch of eye striking color, with its blended peachy tones. It will be interesting to see how this performs as the plant matures, if the staminode will flatten out, if the form improves a bit. Was this a productive cross, and are there other plants in bud? It would be nice to see a group of siblings from this cross to assess the potential.

No unfortunately I only got one flask, with about 8 to 10 plants out of this cross, but if more of them bloom I will post the other flowers.

Robert

I love the Icho Tower, :smitten: but I'm not as fond of the back cross, although I really like the picotee effect. Maybe it'll straighten up with further blooming. But I don't see how you can improve on the Icho Tower.
I'm with you Dot!

This is a great incentive for someon to perfect mericloning for phrags. I simply can't wait years for a division of that!

Back