Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi 'red'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchideya

The flower opened today:

phal_cornu-cervi_red_bloom.jpg

phal_cornu-cervi_red_bloom4.jpg

Thank you everybody!
The plant is not small. It has 4 mature spikes with a few buds developing at the different stages and yesterday I have noticed yet one more new spike start.
Here is the pic of when I got it over a week ago and just repotted:

phal_cornucervi_red_poted.jpg

I have it for only about 10 days, got it from the show in Ottawa, but it originally came in soft plastic pot with sphagnum and seemed very happy with that, so I decided to keep it the same. I put couple of packing peanuts under the base. What's wrong with it being in sphagnum?

Nice flower! I have one from Ten Shin Gardens as well. Did the flower open with that deep red color when it opened or did it darken as the flower aged?

I have one from Tropical Garden Orchids as but it just opened but the flowers are greenish tan color and was labelled as Phal cornu-cervi frm chattaladae.

Paphman910

Thank you Shiva and Paphman910.
Mine is from Crystal Star Orchids and was marked cornu-cervi 'red'. It opened solid red and dark as it is now, right from the beginning.
Frm. chattaladae is on my wish list too, but now I am not sure what is the difference between my 'red' and chattaladae (maybe the green tips on the petals should not be there for chattaladae).

Thank you Shiva and Paphman910.
Mine is from Crystal Star Orchids and was marked cornu-cervi 'red'. It opened solid red and dark as it is now, right from the beginning.
Frm. chattaladae is on my wish list too, but now I am not sure what is the difference between my 'red' and chattaladae (maybe the green tips on the petals should not be there for chattaladae).

Thanks for the info!

I think that is the same as chattaladae form. Do the leaves have concentrated red dots on the centre fold of the leaf?

Patrick told me that if it has it, then very likely a chattaladae form.

Paphman910

There are lots of dark freckles on the leaves, but they are more like purplish, not red. When getting it, I thought it was a problem like rot or something, but vendor told me it was a pygment (did I spell it correctly?), proving that it is indeed the red form.
I have compared my bloom to the pics of chattaladae and they look very similar, but since my label was marked just 'red' I will stick with it.

There are lots of dark freckles on the leaves, but they are more like purplish, not red. When getting it, I thought it was a problem like rot or something, but vendor told me it was a pygment (did I spell it correctly?), proving that it is indeed the red form.
I have compared my bloom to the pics of chattaladae and they look very similar, but since my label was marked just 'red' I will stick with it.

I know that as well! you are right about the pigments as well! My Phal cornu-cervi frm chattaladae has orange flowers and the leaf has very few purple pigment on the fold of the leaf.

Let the moss dry out completely before watering it!

Paphman910

Ironically I can only grow phals in sphagnum, because it is easier to tell when it is definitely completely dry. Other media is very deceptive for me. Mostly I have phals in the clay pots with sphagnum, so it dries faster, but this one has pretty strong root system, so I decided to try it in plastic pot because that's how it came. If moss takes more than 10 days to dry out - I will move it to the clay pot too.

Yes, and there is fifth spike started too, But I cannot take credit for them, just had the plant for 10 days.
I hope my conditions will allow it to continue the flowering.

Latest posts

Back