phal amboinensis 'common'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... purchased a few years ago from Peter Lin/Big Leaf Orchids who is a member here now! I've seen lots of the yellow and red variety of amboinensis, and usually don't see the red and white version. this is what Peter calls the 'common' variety which is the clonal name. I don't know if it's seed grown or not (can't remember). It can flower more than once a year and is slightly fragrant though I don't know exactly what it smells like.

pamboinensis111a.JPG

whole plant

pamboinensis111b.JPG

pamboinensis111c.JPG

a sideways look at the center of the flowers

pamboinensis111d.JPG

the lip really does have some dark, red striping on it

Charles - variety Common is called because originally wild collected plants are white base with red/brown bars. Yellow base is rare. Hybridizer seeks out flowers with darker yellow base and line breed them. So what's called 'common' is rare today.
Variety Common breeds better red than the yellow base type per personal conversation with Brother Orchids in Taiwan.

Variety name is different than cultivar name. So the word common should not be in quote.

:) okay, I saw a slash on the plant tag and thought it was a clonal name of sorts, but looking at it more closely (after brushing aside some dirt) I see that it was a 'v' for variety... I didn't really think that it was a mericlone with the name common but didn't think about it that deeply. I had heard probably from your website, that the whites used to be commonly found but were now scarce. (too late to edit out the mistake in first post,...)

it's amazing how breeders can end up dictating what plants later on can be available for sale; I like the phal corningiana that has the red and blue spots on it (mine died earlier this year :( ), but the last few times I looked around to try and buy another corningiana, the few I saw were ones that were mostly red and the descriptions were stating how desirable they were because they were all red... there are already other orchid species that have been line selected to be mostly red, and others that are albas; I like the colors that are a mix and not solid as they get boring to me at least.

Back