Paphiopedilum helenae hybrid ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddybear

Awarded Stud
Reaction score
My mystery mini paph is blooming again. Still have no idea what it is other than it might be a helenae hybrid.

DSC_7545.jpg

Wow... That's a very interesting bloom. I like it.
Looking at that, If it does have helenae in it, it makes me think that delicatum could be a hybrid.

Regards, Mick

Last edited:
Can you show a picture of the whole plant? Also, how big is the flower/plant?

I am a fan of "vertically stretched" flowers. The shape reminds me of Paph. dayanum.

Have you posted this before & did we have a guessing game?
Helenae usually has pretty flat dorsals, therefore ....
helenae x hermanii?

yes I posted this one last year. It was purchased as Diana Ward X Maudiae...that could be ONE of the parents, but there is a mini in there...helenae or barbigerum would be my guess. The plant is multiple growth with narrow, fainted tesselated, dark purple-tinted leaves and still in a 3" pot. The original hybrid came from Klinge Orchids. I'll try to get a pic of the entire plant this evening.

what do you think might be in it?
The stam is just as one would see in most from the paphio group.

Very difficult for me to know what I see...:p

Maybe dayanum (shape), purpuratum??? etc...

ANd for the small size, I see barbigerum more than helenae.

But for me, it's a complex hybrid. Very difficult to know what it is...:(

Very difficult for me to know what I see...:p

Maybe dayanum (shape), purpuratum??? etc...

ANd for the small size, I see barbigerum more than helenae.

But for me, it's a complex hybrid. Very difficult to know what it is...:(

Mick, I bought the orchid from Paramount...the owner agrees it is NOT what it is labelled as. Here is the entire plant in itrs 3" pot.

DSC_8380.jpg

I agree with Fabrice that this should be a very complex hybrid instead of just primary. The only way that I would suspect a parentage of helenae is its side petals. However I could not see any others from helenae in other parts of the plant. At least the lateral sepal does not resemble helenae's. heleane's is smaller than the pouch and is tightly associated with the pouch, observed from my own plant.

One thing for sure from Koopowitz is that the cross with helenae tends to reduce plant size.

Mick, I bought the orchid from Paramount...the owner agrees it is NOT what it is labelled as. Here is the entire plant in itrs 3" pot.

I see. I have no idea what it is then. The dorsal and petal shape looks like many helenae in Vietnam.

Dude! You should have said its a new species! :p

Its not unheard of for dealers in Hanoi to get a plant like this, take it to Ba Vi National Park near Hanoi for some habitat photos and then ask hundreds of dollars for their "new species". Some have been successful with these hoaxes. Buyer beware.

Regards, Mick

Back