Paphiopedilum bellatulum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hehehe, thanks! I must admit it took a while to start growing, I had in S/H, which it did not like at all... almost lost it... I changed it to "standard" substrat, and after a while it became a weed... it is also in bloom almost most of the year... but it is during this season that it has the largest number of flowers... this year it seems to be 5 or 6 flowers at once...

hhhhmmmm.... question... I have never thought of breeding or selfing this plant... now that I have posted this picture, I have several people asking whether I will breed it because apparently the dorsal is "fantastic" for the species.... what do you think? I have not seen so many bellatulum f2f in oder to judge whether this is an outstanding clone... so far, I just happen to like it a lot...

here some older pictures of former blooms:

Paphiopedilum bellatulum by kavanaru, on Flickr

Paphiopedilum bellatulum by kavanaru, on Flickr

This was one of my first paphs and it was a boom or bust plant for about 6 years.

For a few years it would have anual fits of great growth followed by root loss. Then after a few years it seemed to be indistructable and got up to about 10 growths. After a couple years like that it started loosing growths to rot one at a time, refusing to put on new roots and blooming all the while.

No matter how often or in whatever mix it kept going down until loosing the whole thing.

I managed to get a compot of selfings of this plant, and they would do great in the compot, but after getting potted individually they would "lock up" and gradually die out.

This is all before I came up with the low-K theory. I picked up a new NBS seedling bellatulum from Sam, and after almost a year (in a basket) its growing fantasticly and may bloom this spring. My niveum has never been better too, and a small compot of godefroyae seedlings are growing very fast.

Everything would probably be considered Intermediate to warm temps in my GH, but I have the bellatulum at the lower light end compared to niveum and godefroyae at the bright end.

The belatulum is down by my sanderianum, supardii, and emersonii , while the niveum and godefroyae are under vandas and next to "cactus-paph" species like exul and druryii.

There must be different altitude vars. of bell. as in some areas it can apparently experience frost. Also the possibility of leuc. or godefroyae in the blood?

There must be different altitude vars. of bell. as in some areas it can apparently experience frost. Also the possibility of leuc. or godefroyae in the blood?

If humans and chimps share 99% of DNA then brachies must by 99.99% all the same based on how different the flowers/plant habit is.

:clap: :drool: :clap:
You're not alone guys! I guess it goes to show us if everything else is right, temp might not make the difference?

That's right. Even JPMC's armeniacum seems to prove this. Never gets below 16c and never gets a winter dry rest as the literature states and still quite grow and flower outstandingly. I guess they can adapt as long as you provide them with basic care.

I think that line breeding removes some of the need for seasonally cold treatments. Where anything can survive, it's probably likely that plants that have code for allowing different temperatures to survive (or there are breeders sneaking pollen from other species onto their plants) are in cultivation

the result of 3.5 years growing warm to hot... as I bought this plant it was a single mature growth with a very small new growth coming...

OK, yours is a special clone Ramon! P.S. great flower

Paul, nice growing w3ith a nice bloom. First bloom? I've only had luck keeping this species alive by growing it S/H. Is yours in a mix?

I give you average low/high temps in nature:

"cold" months: min 11°C max 33°C
hot months (spring): min 21°C max 37°C

So, does someone still think it needs a cold season? lol

But min 11 is not that hot...

11 to 33C

very variable, which makes me think that the species is very adaptable to both cool and hot winter... the question is at which temp it would perform better and at which it would survive without many issues...

Back