Paph Vanda M Pearman

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
2nd time flowering.

David

Paph delanatii 'Pink Spring' x bellatulum alba 'Moonlight'

vandampearmancom.jpg

likely...looks like mine and mine is bellatulum alba. Yours is very lovely, i like the darker staminode on the white.

It grows super well in S/H by the way....mine is now in a glass vase so I see so many roots!

bellatulum album?

Not sure what the question is here. If it is why isn't the flower an alba form when belatullum is an alba then this would simply be because the delanatii is not an alba. None of the seedlings would express the alba colour although all would carry the alba gene. If I was to self this seedling than 25% would be alba. That is my understanding of genetics.

David

Actually I was questioning the spots on the petals which def dont come from the delanatii. I get the bell was just recently regressive for colored spots and they came back in your cross.

your both right. there might have been a better chance of an album Vanda Pearman if you used a delenatii alba also, but chances are you'd need to self or do a sib cross of this plant to achieve any albinistic progeny.

Very lovely plant and flower. Do you grow it cold or temperate ?

On the warm side of temperate (15-16oC minimum). I grew it in a lot more shade this time and the growth would be double the size of the first flowering. A beautiful big dark mottled growth.

David

Actually I was questioning the spots on the petals which def dont come from the delanatii. I get the bell was just recently regressive for colored spots and they came back in your cross.

Huh? Good point, Eric. I thought you were just questioning the use of "alba" vs. "album". However, as you say, if the bellatulum was an alba, where did the spots come from? I wonder if an alba bellatulum still has spots; but, they're void of any colour and therefore, they don't show up in an alba flower. However, when you mix in colour genes from another plant, in this case, from a normal delenatii, the invisible spots "grab" some colour and therefore, they show up.

IMO, this is the nicest Vanda M. Pearman I've seen. I like the much more contrasting white background and the heavily delenatii influenced staminode colours. This is a beauty!

I wonder if an alba bellatulum still has spots; but, they're void of any colour and therefore, they don't show up in an alba flower. However, when you mix in colour genes from another plant, in this case, from a normal delenatii, the invisible spots "grab" some colour and therefore, they show up.

That is what I would have thought. In the alba form the spots are there, you just can't see them (if that makes any sense). I'm not an expert on these things though. I think it looks a lot better with the spots myself.

David

David, a lovely flower. Vanda M Pearman has been a favorite for many years. I lost mine some years ago, fortunately I now have a couple flasks of Vanda M Pearman that are coming alone.

Our bellatulum fma. album blooms with uncolored (white) bumps. So the spots are there, you just can't see them.

Also, bellatulum has big spots, right. I've noticed it commonly doesn't pass them on. They come out as speckles or increased color saturation, but not big, bold spots (of course, there are exceptions). VMP is the classic example of this since delenatii has nearly pristine white petals and also likes to quench color.

-Ernie

Latest posts

Back