Paph. tigrinum x delenatii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
If you like oddities, this one is for you. The first time it bloomed, it was pouchless. I let it grow and this is the second bloom -- both flowers are pouchless. The person I bought it from said it must be a genetic defect. Unfortunately, he doesn't have anymore. It's really too bad: the color, symmetry and substance are all quite good

Paph_tigrinumxdelenatii.jpg

One for ebay Dot!! Those freak collectors will swipe it up and probably pay you big bucks for it;>

It's interesting how delenatii can partially or totally suppress the colors from the other parent. Thanks for the picture!:)

That reminds me, has anyone seen a picture of Paph Doll Mouse = delenatii x henryanum? Do you think the delenatii would have the same effect on henryanum as it did on tigrinum?

Of such mutations are new plant families borne. We now have functionally 2 petals and 2 sepals, thanks to the prior fusion of the synsepal, radically departing from the monocot norm of 3 and 3. A whole new floral symmetry may result. And the loss of the lip will release pollinator specificity. Given a few million years to evolve there will be little resemblance to the humble slipper-orchid origins. Nice job! :clap:

Really cool, but strange! I don't see any tigrinum in it... I'm surprised to see all of the pink in the petals. I really like some deformities, but this one doesn't do much for me :) Nice picture, though, as usual!

- Matt

based on what i have seen from Olaf Gruss' photos from his talk at my society, tigrinum has not made good progeny. I guess it is never meant to be hybridized

based on what i have seen from Olaf Gruss' photos from his talk at my society, tigrinum has not made good progeny. I guess it is never meant to be hybridized

Apart from the cross with henryanum, maybe. I've seen a couple flowering Paph. Woessner Tigerhenry (Yes!) recently, all really colourful and quite attractive.

Dot's plant is quite funny, but it'll be the first to be kicked out if I were running out of space. Not sure what the goal was with this cross, either.

Cheers, Carsten

Dear Carsten,
also when most of the hybrids of tigrinum are not the best, there are some which are very attractive, especially the cross with Paph. henryanum, but I think also the cross with delenatii will be attractive.

Best greetings

Olaf

Back