Paph Conco-bellatulum X vietnamense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
This bad boy is blooming again. Monster flower for the plant

Paph%20Conco-bellatalum%20X%20vietnamense2_zpsc1p2zsfk.jpg

Paph%20Conco-bellatalum%20X%20vietnamense1_zpsxxo4ikxx.jpg

Very impressive flower and I am curious about a couple of thing. Since the flower is so large with respect to the plant, does the bud take a long time to develop? Also, do you see much deterioration or stress on the plant after it has bloomed? Thanks. Mike

Very impressive flower and I am curious about a couple of thing. Since the flower is so large with respect to the plant, does the bud take a long time to develop? Also, do you see much deterioration or stress on the plant after it has bloomed? Thanks. Mike

Avg bud development as slippers go. It hasn't shown any stress at all because of blooming. Its in the same original 3" pot/mix and has bloomed 3X so far. I staked the first 2 bloomings early on and the flowers were very wonky. This time I just let it do its own thing. The bud went straight up one leaf and jumped over like a parachuter!

Though I don't like vietnamense very much this cross is special. I like all the burgundy spots! Does this flower last longer than the flower of a vietnamense?

Last edited:
It will last as long as any other Brachy species or hybrid.

Interesting concept Stephen but how to explain VMP and its spotting? Much finer then ballatulum itself. Has anyone seen concolor X vietnamense or bellatulum X vietnamense? Maybe concolor adds to the total number of spots rather then the size of spots.

Mike,

I have one bought as a bellatulum, but obviously, it was (vietnamense x conco-bella, or vietnamense x bellatulum) when it opened.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42064

It had a huge flower on a small plant in 2 inch pot.
The flower lasted well over one month on mine, actually nearly two months.

It started a new start as soon as the flower dropped, so there is no stress.
I believe it is just how it is for this cross, taking the smallish plant size and large flower size of vietnamense while short flower life span is fortunately suppressed.

I have seen a group of them in bloom at a show in the past. All were the same. Huge flower on a tiny plant.

The main flaw is the flower shape. Typical unruly flower shape.

This has been named, Wossner Vietnam Bell.
Don, In theory any flower can be useful in breeding. This one has serious stem issues. Unless some very creative person can take advantage of this weak stem and go an entirely different direction. Say, pendulum multifloral slippers could be very cool!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back