Paph. Armeni White

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
O

orchideya

That I got from Ed last summer.
It bloomed few weeks ago, but I didn't have time to take picture back then, now it started to spoil. You have to believe my word, it was very pretty pristine white flower. :)

armeni_white.jpg

Ed who?

Too bad you didn't get a photo earlier. It looks like it was quite nice before it began to fade.

However, it's not Armeni White (delenatii x armeniacum). It's definitely got micranthum in there. In fact, it looks like a pure micranthum. Although, the staminode looks a little bit too wide and flat; but still, that could be an extreme of what is the natural variation from clone to clone. The leaves look like pure micranthum, too. If it's not pure micranthum, I'd guess it's a complex hybrid with mostly micranthum genes.

oops.
It was Ed Hanes, I got three plants from him - Fanaticum with one growth, Fumi's Delight with 4 growths and Armeni White with 3 growths.
Maybe I accidentally switch the labels and it is Fumi's Delight?
I guess I would have to wait and see how the other one blooms.:)
Whatever it is I like it.

Fumi's Delight was my first thought on seeing the picture, though from what I've seen this is an unusually albescent one. Looks like a nice flower and a very healthy plant!

oops.
It was Ed Hanes, I got three plants from him - Fanaticum with one growth, Fumi's Delight with 4 growths and Armeni White with 3 growths.
Maybe I accidentally switch the labels and it is Fumi's Delight?
I guess I would have to wait and see how the other one blooms.:)
Whatever it is I like it.

I wondered about Fumi's Delight; but, the staminode looks too "micranthum" to be half armenicum. If you Google FD, all the flowers have a much more flat staminode....more armeniacum influence. Although, if it was a FD x same, or x self, then the genes would be remixed and more micranthum could be expressed. It's definitely not Fanaticum and it's not Armeni White......and it certainly could be a FD; but, with very albescent colouring, as gnathaniel said.

Troy, see my first post in this thread.

I wondered about Fumi's Delight; but, the staminode looks too "micranthum" to be half armenicum. If you Google FD, all the flowers have a much more flat staminode....more armeniacum influence. Although, if it was a FD x same, or x self, then the genes would be remixed and more micranthum could be expressed. It's definitely not Fanaticum and it's not Armeni White......and it certainly could be a FD; but, with very albescent colouring, as gnathaniel said.

Troy, see my first post in this thread.

Can environment influence the color of Fumi's Delight and make it wash out to white? Temps in the tank are about 16C now.

Agreed. Since the provinence of this plant really only gives you one plausable choice....and the flower certainly looks the part; I also agree with Fumi's Delight. Yes, temperature can alter colour saturation; either making it darker or lighter.

Agreed. Since the provinence of this plant really only gives you one plausable choice....and the flower certainly looks the part; I also agree with Fumi's Delight. Yes, temperature can alter colour saturation; either making it darker or lighter.

So, the colder temps would make the color lighter, right? I think it is true for phals too.

So, the colder temps would make the color lighter, right? I think it is true for phals too.
It depends on the plant. I know in Phrags, cooler temps intensify reds.....and I know that a nice, dark Miltonia morelliana will open up very, very pale if grown in the cold. I don't know which way the colours would go on a FD if the temps were very cool. It's just that it's very possible that they'd change, one way or the other.

I'd say straight micranthum.
I am yet to see any Fumi's Delight with staminode that narrow, although anything is possible with hybrids.
To me, this flower looks just like micranthum v. alboflavum.
The leaves indicate that it is more likely straight micranthum.
Armeniacum almost always "dirty up" the pattern a bit or a lot. lol

With regard to colors and temperatures, color, not just red although red or blue pigments definitely intensify under cooler temperature and brighter light, would generally intensify with cooler temperature.
It has to do with the increased sugar production and its conversion into color pigment under such conditions.

I'd say straight micranthum.
I am yet to see any Fumi's Delight with staminode that narrow, although anything is possible with hybrids.
To me, this flower looks just like micranthum v. alboflavum.
The leaves indicate that it is more likely straight micranthum.
Armeniacum almost always "dirty up" the pattern a bit or a lot. lol

With regard to colors and temperatures, color, not just red although red or blue pigments definitely intensify under cooler temperature and brighter light, would generally intensify with cooler temperature.
It has to do with the increased sugar production and its conversion into color pigment under such conditions.

I don't know.
Here is the regular micranthum that I bloomed back in 2012 ;
paph_micranthum.jpg

Staminode is totally different, no? But when I look at the leaves - they look identical to micranthum var eburneum that I got from Matt. Maybe it is a Fumi's Delight made with micranthum eburneum?
The flower fell off yesterday. I re-potted the plant into smaller containers since it was overpotted and runners connections rotted thrugh. Luckily all the fans have their own new roots, so I will wait for new blooms. We'll see if they will be white again.

Latest posts

Back