Lycate skinneri alba

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Marc

The orchid nursery I visited last saturday had a nice Lycaste in full bloom.

Lycaste skinneri alba

IMG_0478klein.jpg

IMG_0517klein.jpg

That doesn't look like a Lycaste to me, skinneri or otherwise. It's probably a hybrid with some maxillaria. It's nice though.

very nice, large flowers, but the plants/ leaves get soo large!!! Jean

I saw that as well, but when looking at orchidspecies.com I noticed that the growing requirements regarding light and temperature have a lot of similarities with Paphs.

Might be nice to have some one day in the future when ( and if ...... :( ) I have a greenhouse of my own.

That makes sense. What Maxillaria could make such a big flower? But the flower does look a bit Max-ish!

It looks to me to be a hybrid with one of the Sudamerlycastes. This genus was recently separated from Lycaste and mainly contains the old Lycaste section Fimbriatae. This flower looks a lot like it's got Sudamerlycaste (Lycaste), ciliata; or, a related species in it's background. I'm no Lycaste expert; but to me, it looks like Sudamerlycaste ciliata x Lycaste skinneri alba.

Thanks for the input so far, I can't recall the species name anymore but it clearly was labelled as Lycaste. There is always the chance that a grower has their plants mislabeleled.

It looks to me to be a hybrid with one of the Sudamerlycastes. This genus was recently separated from Lycaste and mainly contains the old Lycaste section Fimbriatae. This flower looks a lot like it's got Sudamerlycaste (Lycaste), ciliata; or, a related species in it's background. I'm no Lycaste expert; but to me, it looks like Sudamerlycaste ciliata x Lycaste skinneri alba.

That makes sense -- I didn't know that. Thanks, John.

I initially thought it might be a cross with bifrenaria, but now I agree with John M. Nice plant and well grown.

Brett

Thanks for the input so far, I can't recall the species name anymore but it clearly was labelled as Lycaste. There is always the chance that a grower has their plants mislabeleled.

If John is right, then it could just be that it's an old label and maybe the nursery isn't aware yet of the reclassification.

That makes sense. What Maxillaria could make such a big flower? But the flower does look a bit Max-ish!

Maxillaria confusa? I find some similarities and it could be in the background somewhere, along with an anguloa... In fact, is there any skinneri at all in there?

Lycaste ciliata x skinneri = Lycaste Doug Kennedy. Here is a Lyc. Doug Kennedy.http://http://hybridorchid.la.coocan.jp/Lycaste/Lycaste%20Doug%20Kennedy/Lycaste%20Doug%20Kennedy.htm

If you assume that the anther cap is dark because it has been bumped in transit; or, has died and begun to rot because of high humidity...and you take into account that the photos were taken from different angles, these appear to be the same hybrid. Look at the shape of the lip and the callus on both. They are the same. The flower in this thread is of better show quality; but to me, they do appear to be the same hybrid.

An interesting note that I just discovered while I was researching this cross: As it happens, Lyc. Dough Kennedy was named after the Doug Kennedy who is a long-time member of SOOS, here in Toronto.

Latest posts

Back