Laelia bradei

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's such a beautiful and cute species. Even when not in bloom, they're very attractive plants. I've not ventured into trying this group. I like the flowers, but I'm a perpetual over waterer so we wouldn't get along. Plus, I don't think many/any of these rupicolous laelias are fragrant, and that's generally a requirement for me to consider a non-slipper species.

Cool. What's your culture?
I keep them outside almost all year long, with full sun in the winter, fall, and spring, and about 4 hrs in the summer, as my summers are very hot!! Average summer temps are 95-110. I only bring them inside when the evening temps get below 40 degrees Fahrenheit. I have them planted in an equal mix of small turface, lava, granite, charcoal, perlite, and orchiata bark.

That's such a beautiful and cute species. Even when not in bloom, they're very attractive plants. I've not ventured into trying this group. I like the flowers, but I'm a perpetual over waterer so we wouldn't get along. Plus, I don't think many/any of these rupicolous laelias are fragrant, and that's generally a requirement for me to consider a non-slipper species.
I'm a perpetual over waterer too!!! They are in an a 95% inorganic mix and they LOVE water!!! Water them once a week in dead of winter, and almost everyday the rest of the year.

Last edited:
Beauty!. Nicely grown. It looks very happy. I managed to grow them OK, but not as well as yours. Only a few flowered indoors under lights in the winter.

Beauty!. Nicely grown. It looks very happy. I managed to grow them OK, but not as well as yours. Only a few flowered indoors under lights in the winter.
Put them outside in the sun, ESPECIALLY in the winter!

A blast from the past for me - I grew this one in Florida 30 years ago. I too grew it in pure inorganic medium, small pumice rock I think. Lovely flower and plant! BTW, you can respond in one message to multiple posts by using the + Quote option on the right.
lol I'm not too technologically inclined

Latest posts

Back