Laelia bradei, Gastrochilus japonicus & Trichopilia tortilis

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kavanaru

Laelia bradei (first time bloom with me), a real mini. Flowers are 2.3 cm wide

Gastrochilus japonicus: third or fourth bloom this year

Trichopilia tortilis: second bloom this year (has had 4 other flowers this time, but only one open at a time - in previous blooms it has had up to 5 flowers open at the same time)

Gorgeous Ramon, but I wonder about your G. japonicus - somehow it doesn't look right for this species. The waviness of the leaves and the purple coloring around the column are not characteristic of this plant. Is it possible you have a different species?

hhhhmmm... you got me there :) This is what is on the label, and it looks quite similarto what I have seen forgastrochilus japonicus (not much I must admit!). Once ago, someone said it looks loke Gastro. somai, but then I found that somai and japonicus are the same species.... What would be your suggestion?

great blooms, all of them!!! Any special culture advice for the lovely yellow bradei? Jean

Jean, it grows in S/H (helps to cool down the root at night), under T5 light (it can be quite warm during the day, but quite cool during the night). Reverse Osmose Water. Fertilizer: Peter's Excell 15-5-15 at 120 ppm twice a month.

That L. bradei is lovely! First time bloom... I hope there are more flowers with the next blooming. It would be great having a bradei bunch :)

I'm looking to hunt down some rupicolous Laelia (or are they now Catts?) for myself. Where I stay there is strong wind and lots of sun so something that can stand a little abuse would be nice. I have to tuck my orchids away in the only sheltered nook where I live.

Thanks for posting!

hhhhmmm... you got me there :) This is what is on the label, and it looks quite similarto what I have seen forgastrochilus japonicus (not much I must admit!). Once ago, someone said it looks loke Gastro. somai, but then I found that somai and japonicus are the same species.... What would be your suggestion?

I'd go with G. somai since G. japonicus has no purple pigment (at least in Japanese plants!) in the flower and G. somai can have waviness to the leaves. Any other contenders?

Ramon, here's my G. japonicus for comparison:

GastrochilusJaponicusFLSSM.jpg

Love the L. bradei too - I grew that one in Florida and it was the most reliable rupicolus Laelia for flowers each year.

My favourite is definitely the Laelia, I am jealous of anyone who can grow those rock lovers!

Back