Cattleya mirandae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naoki

Reaction score
OZ, the flowers look similar to C. (L.) harpophylla, but the pseudobulbs are very different. I looked it up the phylogeny, and actually it is fairly distant relatives. C. harpophylla isn't in Section Parvifluorae (typical rupicolous Cattleya (Laelia)). Here is the ITS-based molecular phylogeny of Cattleya relatives (not much resolution within section Parviflorae, though):

van den Berg, C., W.E. Higgins, R.L. Dressler, W.M. Whitens, M.A. Soto Arenas, A. Fulham, and M.W. Chase. 2000. A Phylogenetic analysis of Laeliinae (Orchidaceae) based on sequence data from Internal Transcribed Spacers (ITS) of nuclear ribosomal DNA. Lindleyana 15(2): 96–114 (link to PDF)

Dot, it seems to be easy for my condition. The thin leaved rupicolous Cattleyas grow fairly well for me and flower every year. The thick leaved ones are slower, and they don't flower so well. Maybe, thick-leaved ones require more light than I can provide? I think Brazilian vendors (Bela Vista, AWZ, Floralia) seem to have this species always in the last couple years. Miranda Orchids used to have it listed, but not any more.

I love the rupiculous Laelias, and this one is no exception...waiting on a mature L. milleri to bloom for me, and I just got a few more rupis. Thanks for sharing! Love the color and length of the spike (even if it is a little too long...) ;)

David

Which other ones did you get David? Yes, the inflorescence is a bit too long for my enclosure... I'm hoping that it doesn't become any taller.

Dot, at first, I used to think that they had to be kept really dry. But after talking to a couple people (who grow them well), I started to think that they probably like quite a bit of water (I'm growing them in half sphagnum moss) at least for the think leaved ones. Repotting is a bit challenging for some species, because the roots could be brittle.

Which other ones did you get David? Yes, the inflorescence is a bit too long for my enclosure... I'm hoping that it doesn't become any taller.

Dot, at first, I used to think that they had to be kept really dry. But after talking to a couple people (who grow them well), I started to think that they probably like quite a bit of water (I'm growing them in half sphagnum moss) at least for the think leaved ones. Repotting is a bit challenging for some species, because the roots could be brittle.
Is that thin? or thick?
But thanks. I always thought I overwatered them. Maybe not...

Naoki, I have two Laelia milleri plants, one Laelia angereri (new) and one Laelia gloedeniana (new). Probably going to purchase another few in the next few months; I have my eye on Laelia cinnabarina, caulescens alba, and flavasulina. I love these little guys!

David

As far as culture goes, I have read and found that they do like a good bit of water. The main thing is that they need as much light as possible. When I saw pictures of the plants in situ, that really helped me realize just how much exposure is normal, even necessary, for them to thrive.

As far as culture goes, I have read and found that they do like a good bit of water. The main thing is that they need as much light as possible. When I saw pictures of the plants in situ, that really helped me realize just how much exposure is normal, even necessary, for them to thrive.

Another good tip! Thanks.

Back