Cattleya aurea var. chrysotoxa

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely. The dowiana is my favorite cattleya. How old is your plant? May I request a full plant photo?

For ten years at me.flowering every year.i will try but whole plant pic is very difficult.it grows up in the corner of GH roots are everywhere impossible to move.

Thanks! No worries about the plant photo. I'm just always curious to see how big other people's plants are. I've been eying a var chrystoxa from Orchids Limited but I'll likely just get the rosita. This is an orchid I wouldn't mind having 20 of!

Excuse my ignorance, but was not aureas lip supposed to have yellow blothces on both sides (eyes?) Or is that only some varieties?

Excuse my ignorance, but was not aureas lip supposed to have yellow blothces on both sides (eyes?) Or is that only some varieties?

Hello Bjorn, it is nice to hear from you! Newest taxonomy about dowiana is next: aurea is a subspecies, the most imporant difference between is geographical difference and dowiana's lip is closed, aurea's lip is not closed. Aurea has two varieties: chrysotoxa is most common, it has distinct veins on the surface of lip, and at the edge, too. Dureda is not so common, its veins are melting into a continous yellow patch on the surface of side lobes. So its correct name is Cattleya dowiana ssp. aurea var. chrysotoxa.

Istvan, naoki; thanks a lot, but I am uncertain how much this enlightened my understanding. But, my confusion is brought to a higher level:p

Latest posts

Back