C. aurantiaca 'Citronella' x self.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

nikv

First bloom seedling in a 2-1/2 inch pot. Purchased from Tropical Orchid Farm on Maui.

Yeah, I know it's now a Guarianthe, but I just cannot get used to the new names. There were three buds but a snail got to two of them. This flower is 1-1/4 inches NS. Love the pure yellow color.

IMG_2338a.jpg

Best Regards,
Nik

I wondered if somebody got the all-white version...
Searching for it, a long time...

Acknowledging the new name is the first step towards healing your soul.......lol. Just kidding!

Very nice! It's not one I have ever seen in person before, love the yellow.

I wondered if somebody got the all-white version...
Searching for it, a long time...

I was wondering when someone would mention the "All-white aurantiaca."

Truth is, no such animal exists. I have pursued this question for years, traced down every taxonomist and grower who has seen the plants and flowers, and I have come to the conclusion that any white "aurantiaca" is an intergrade with skinneri.

The yellow aurantiaca you see above is as close to and alba tht you will see. I have two of these plants, and neither produce any anthocyanin, phenotypically exactly as this plant. They are "xanthic albas" in that they lack the ability to produce anthocyanins, but not the ability to produce those pigments responsible for yellow color.

Yeah, show me an all white aurantiaca, and I'll show you an all white Paph armeniacum. ;) Doesn't happen.

Don't think that this is a straight aurantiaca either: esp. the form of the lip, but also the overall plant habit!!! Jean

I humbly disagree. Looks like an aurantiaca to me (flower and plant). They are bifoliates. Of course, it'll get a huge head of flowers once it's grown up, but their flowers are consistent with this one IMO.

I humbly disagree. Looks like an aurantiaca to me (flower and plant). They are bifoliates. Of course, it'll get a huge head of flowers once it's grown up, but their flowers are consistent with this one IMO.

I had no intention to post this pic, but to underline my statement: if I compare my blooms to Niks' they are consistent conc. esp. the shape of the lip and the pos. of petals, but the Ebay plants' blooms are diff. Imo!!! Jean

I was wondering when this EBAY plant would make it to this thread! LOL. Look at the lip of the EBAY plant. It is round, with no hint of an apex like aurantiaca. In fact, it is almost spoon-shaped. This is a dead give away for an intergrade between sknneri and aurantiaca.

Ohhhh. I didn't bother to click the eBay link. Oops. Read the post too fast. Yeah, the eBay one linked is NOT an aurantiaca.

Latest posts

Back