Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion
        The best CTF maps ever thread.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: The best CTF maps ever thread.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 07:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

(Links to all maps are included in this post).

Following on from The best Q3 DM/Tourney maps ever.......... thread, I thought I'd start a best ctf thread.

It's difficult cause not all maps are to every ones taste and also I'm not a serious CTFer. The reason I've chosen mine is simple really. They've stuck around on my harddisk and I still go back to play them even nowadays (mostly with my daughters - aww bless!!).

I've not included any map packs like the excellent q3wctf pak by Zoid and Casey, because I mainly tend to only like one or two of the maps from them and just get annoyed with the others clogging up my Harddisk. So without further ado here they are.

Coral ctf by Willow
Rocky Rampage by Agent Orange
Castle CTF by Geit
Des Hertogens Hove by Geit
Harsh Grounds by Beefster
Orbital Rampage by }{ammer
The heart of dungeon by Yuri Davidoff (Alt FilePlanet Link here as well)
Japanese Castles by g1zm0
Stronghold Opposition by SithLord
Cast Into Shadows by QuartZ
Schadenfreude CTF by Cornelius
Courtyard Reloaded by Seremtan
Keepers Bridge by Thred
White Noise by Publius

In hope that some of them bring you as much fun as I've had playing them over the years.

Regards

Fora.

Last edited by foralarx2k3 on 05-14-2006 09:00 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 02:31 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're without exception awesome.

The problem then becomes how to make it so easy for players to get together and experience these maps, that they actually do it to any significant degree....

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sadly that's one of the issues nowadays, there just isn't the ongoing interest in this old game to be able to get a regular get together organised as in players may have good intentions and play once or twice but then the novelty factor soon drops off and they wander off to do something else thats all new and shinny.

I guess that's another reason the maps I have listed up there have stayed around, cause imo they simply stand out above the rest in terms of return value.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 03:42 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The hassle of getting everything up and running bugs me.

I can remember it all for Q3, cause I'm currently focused on it.

But ask me how to do the same with content for all the other games I would also like to play online around now, and I'd have to go look it all up and spend time getting the installations in order so I can actually play online. Too much hassle. I would wager that same issue plages Q3 now it's few people's focused game.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 05:15 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Japanese Castles and Spider Crossings (since that's all that is played on pubs these days :icon27:)

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 05-13-2006 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i always liked q3w2 :shrug:

edit: duelling fortresses i think?

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 08:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Non-fp mirror for the map the Heart of the Dungeon:
http://www.vgpro.com/file/15377_HOD_CTF.ZIP.html

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 08:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
Non-fp mirror for the map the Heart of the Dungeon:
http://www.vgpro.com/file/15377_HOD_CTF.ZIP.html

Great find Oeloe, nice one. Have updated my first post with this link and the FP one as well.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 10:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
i always liked q3w2 :shrug:

edit: duelling fortresses i think?

Cortyard Conundrum (spelling?)

q3w3, cp9, cp14 (my favourite) and cp5 are great maps.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 11:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok, here's a quick name guide to all these wcp[nn] / w[nn] map names that keep appearing in this thread. They are maps from the threewave and classicctf mod map packs. The ones with the ++ flags are my own personal favourites.

Threewave:-

q3w1 / q3wctf1 - Bloodlust ++
q3w2 / q3wctf2 - Courtyard Conundrum ++
q3w3 / q3wctf3 - Finnegans Revenge ++
q3w4 - Bitter Dungeons ++
q3w5 - Gospel Crossings ++
q3w6 - Black Sky Mining Company
q3w7 - City Crossings ++
q3w8 - Denali Base ++

q3wcp1 - Japanese Castles ++
q3wcp2 - Cold Crossings
q3wcp3 - Hot Crossings
q3wcp4 - Schadenfreude ++
q3wcp5 - ShiNNing Forces ++
q3wcp6 - Devolved CTF
q3wcp7 - Dynatron
q3wcp8 - Harsh Grounds V.2

q3wcp9 - Spider Crossings ++
q3wcp10 - Crude Crossings ++
q3wcp11 - Industrial Accident
q3wcp12 - Mostly Harmless
q3wcp13 - Funk dat!
q3wcp14 - Camper Crossings ++
q3wcp15 - Industrial Revolution
q3wcp16 - Coral CTF ++

q3wcp17 - Divided Crossings
q3wcp18 - Future Crossings
q3wcp19 - Lunar Crossings
q3wcp20 - Vampire Crossings
q3wcp21 - La Bastille
q3wcp22 - Des Hertogens Hove ++
q3wcp23 - The Vast and Furious
q3wcp24 - Newcropolis

Classic CTF:-

q3wc1 - Bletey's Return ++
q3wc2 - Desert Cemetary
q3wc3 - Heat
q3wc4 - The Dead Zone
q3wc5 - Showdown
q3wc6 - Twisted Base ++
q3wc7 - Wizard's Manse
q3wc8 - Ultimatium

Fora.

Last edited by foralarx2k3 on 05-15-2006 04:59 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
Courtyard Conundrum

I truly like Courtyard Conundrum but it will always take a back seat to Courtyard Reloaded by Seremtan which is a retextured version in an urban theme with some ever so slight structural changes. Well worth checking out.

Fora.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 12:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

q3wcp13 was my favorite map. It was awesome flying around with the flag through tight, complicated areas and just barely running away from a persuing enemy. I would always laugh when that happened.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 05-14-2006 10:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gopher it :o

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-15-2006 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I made a pack of the best 3wave maps for instaunlagged (instagib with railjumps) CTF once. It saved a lot of megabytes (120 reduced to 25) but the problem is that people that already have the 3wave packs can't use them to connect to your server (unless it's unpure i think) so they have to download your pack.

Imho it's pretty useless unless you do it within a clan or a very tight community where everyone knows where to get your 'megapack'...

Btw, in InstaUnlagged liked playing:

q3wxs1, q3wcp16 (coralctf), q3wcp1 (japanctf), q3wc4, q3wc5, q3wc6, q3wcp17, q3wcp23. wcp17 was my favourite. :) The rest of the maps isn't really suitable for a fast paced mod like IU because they're too complicated or too camp heavy.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-15-2006 05:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Riddla, I think that's a great idea.

Like Oeloe, I've created two pk3s from the threewave maps.

One containing q3w1, q3w2, q3w3, q3w4, q3w5, q3w7, q3w8

The other containing:- q3wcp5, q3wcp9, q3wcp10 & q3wcp14

NB:- I also have an updated quatzctf1.pk3 containing the missing texture metalbase03a_blocks18c3__4.jpg that's in the original threewave three map pak file q3wctf.pk3 but not in the q3wpak0.pk3 file.

All of this is obviously for my own personal use as I play these on a home lan with my daugthers. It does mean that if I want to play online I have to swap these out with the original pk3s but for me that's no biggy.

Fora.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake III Arena/Quake Live Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.