Help me make a list of how camera models are listed in EXIF...

<p>So, here's the deal.</p>

<p>I'm working on some ways to improve Photo.net's image tagging system AND to give users more ways for their photos to be seen. One way is that I want to create a master list of standard tags that can indicate what equipment was used for a given image. That way, for example, if we write a review of something like the Canon 5D MkIII, we can easily include a thumbnail gallery of user images made with that camera. Or, we could create a "Leica" dropdown from the "Gallery" menu at the top of page to help users find images made with Leica cameras.</p>

<p>So what I want to do is to get everyone to post EXACTLY how whatever cameras you have are listed in the "camera model" field in EXIF. I want to do it this way because in the near future, I would like to make sure that images which are uploaded with EXIF included will automatically be tagged. So if I'm going to do that, why bother with making a list? I want people with images already uploaded to be able to tag their images correctly. My goal is to be able to say to users "Here is a list of things you can do that will improve visibility for your images and get more eyeballs on them" and part of that is being able to say "if you tag your Canon 5D images with the tag 'Canon EOS 5D' they will show up on both the master 'Canon' gallery page and the 'Canon 5D review' page".</p>

<p>Now, if anyone knows where a master list of this sort of data exists, I'm all ears. But I couldn't find one myself.</p>

<p>And yes, I know this is an "equipment centric" thing and I agree. But my goal here is to get more people looking at more Photo.net user images. And like it or not, one of the main reasons people look at images is to see what was made with a particular camera or lens or focal length or film or what-have-you. There are other projects we can do to encourage people to tag/view images based on technique or subject or experience level or any other thing. But this project is just focused on connecting the people who want to see images made with ________ camera with the people who are making images with ________ camera.</p>

<p>Also, yes I know that it would appear that I am leaving film users out of this whole deal. I assure you that I am not. It is just that, with no EXIF data to want to match up to, we can just give film cameras whatever "master tag" we would like and we'll be good to go. I'm happy to hear suggestions for film master tags, but I think most of them are pretty self explanatory. I'm not sure what else you would tag a Leica M6 as aside from "Leica M6".</p>

<p>Questions, please post. Know where I can get a master list of this kind of thing, please <strong>PLEASE</strong> post.</p>

<blockquote><strong> Canon</strong></p>

<table border="1">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td><strong>Model</strong></td>

<td><strong>EXIF</strong></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>5D mkI</td>

<td>Canon EOS 5D</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>5D mkII</td>

<td>Canon EOS 5D Mark II</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>5D mkIII</td>

<td>exif</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>7D</td>

<td>Canon EOS 7D</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>T1i</td>

<td>Canon EOS REBEL T1i</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>T2i</td>

<td>exif</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>T3i</td>

<td>exif</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>XTi</td>

<td>Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>model</td>

<td>exif</td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td>model</td>

<td>exif</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</blockquote>

<p>Josh, here is the complete posting for the Canon 7D from LR4. LR 3.6 does it exactly the same. I included it all so you can see how the model is listed in context with the rest.</p>

<p>Artist: Dennis D Zaebst;<br />Exposure Date: 2012:03:04 10:46:52;<br />Make: Canon;<br />Model: Canon EOS 7D;<br />ExposureTime: 1/2000 s;<br />FNumber: f/9;<br />ISOSpeedRatings: 400;<br />ExposureProgram: Aperture priority;<br />ExposureBiasValue: 0;<br />MeteringMode: Pattern;<br />Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode;<br />FocalLength: 280 mm;<br />Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.0 (Windows);</p>

<blockquote>

<p>So what I want to do is to get everyone to post EXACTLY how whatever cameras you have list the "camera model" in EXIF.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Please excuse my confusion, but what EXIF interface program are you wanting this <em>EXACTLY </em>as it appears? There are a number of EXIF viewers like Dennis mentioning Adobe products among others including how it appears for each image's "Detail" section tab viewing a user's gallery image as shown below.</p>

<p>Great idea BTW, Josh. </p><div>00aJ5N-460437584.jpg.7ae3852da7b87779aa38a40de4208fdc.jpg</div>

<table>

<tbody>

<tr><th align="left" valign="top">EQUIPMENT</th>

<td>

<table>

<tbody>

<tr bgcolor="CCCCCC"><th align="left" valign="baseline">CAMERA </th>

<td><a href="http://photo.pgpartner.com/search.php?form_keyword=Casio+Exilim+Ex%2dZ1200&topcat_id=99&Search=Go" target="_blank">CASIO EXILIM EX-Z1200</a></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<tr><th align="left" valign="top">CUSTOM FIELDS</th>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<tr><th align="left" valign="baseline">TECHNICAL DETAILS</th>

<td>Exposure Date: 2009:06:21 15:52:45;<br />Make: CASIO COMPUTER CO.,LTD.;<br />Model: EX-Z1200 ;<br />ExposureTime: 25/10000 s;<br />FNumber: f/5;<br />ISOSpeedRatings: 50;<br />ExposureProgram: Normal program;<br />ExposureBiasValue: 0;<br />MeteringMode: Pattern;<br />Flash: Flash did not fire, auto mode;<br />FocalLength: 23 mm;<br />Software: Capture NX 2.2.6 W;</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p> </p>

<table>

<tbody>

<td>

<table>

<tbody>

<td><a href="http://photo.pgpartner.com/search.php?form_keyword=Olympus+C360Z&topcat_id=99&Search=Go" target="_blank">OLYMPUS C360Z</a></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<td>Exposure Date: 2004:05:05 18:14:55;<br />ImageDescription: OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA ;<br />Make: OLYMPUS CORPORATION;<br />Model: X350,D575Z,C360Z;<br />ExposureTime: 625/100000 s;<br />FNumber: f/5;<br />ISOSpeedRatings: 80;<br />ExposureProgram: Normal program;<br />ExposureBiasValue: 0;<br />MeteringMode: Pattern;<br />Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode;<br />FocalLength: 17 mm;<br />Software: Capture NX 2.2.6 W;</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p> </p>

<table>

<tbody>

<td>

<table>

<tbody>

<td><a href="http://photo.pgpartner.com/search.php?form_keyword=Nikon+D90&topcat_id=99&Search=Go" target="_blank">NIKON D90</a></td>

</tr>

<tr bgcolor="BBBBBB"><th align="left" valign="baseline">LENS </th>

<td><a href="http://photo.pgpartner.com/search.php?form_keyword=nikkor+AF%2dS+DX+NIKKOR+18%2d105mm+f%2f3%2e5%2d5%2e6G+ED+VR&topcat_id=99&Search=Go" target="_blank">NIKKOR AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105MM F/3.5-5.6G ED VR</a></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<td>Exposure Date: 2012:04:15 19:05:17;<br />Make: NIKON CORPORATION;<br />Model: NIKON D90;<br />ExposureTime: 1/160 s;<br />FNumber: f/11;<br />ISOSpeedRatings: 200;<br />ExposureProgram: Aperture priority;<br />ExposureBiasValue: -1;<br />MeteringMode: Pattern;<br />Flash: Flash did not fire;<br />FocalLength: 35 mm;<br />Software: Capture NX 2.3.1 W;</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<blockquote>

<p>Please excuse my confusion, but what EXIF interface program are you wanting this EXACTLY as it appears? There are a number of EXIF viewers like Dennis mentioning Adobe products among others including how it appears for each image's "Detail" section tab viewing a user's gallery image as shown below.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I only need whatever is listed after "model:". My apologies if that wasn't clear. I have reworded things a bit. My orignal sentence that you quoted was kind of a mess.</p>

<p>It shouldn't matter what type of EXIF viewer you use, whatever is listed should be the same.</p>

<p>Here's mine"</p>

<table>

<tbody>

<tr><th align="left" valign="top">Equipment</th>

<td>

<table>

<tbody>

<tr bgcolor="CCCCCC"><th align="left" valign="baseline">Camera </th>

<td><a href="http://photo.pgpartner.com/search.php?form_keyword=Olympus+Evolt+E%2d520&topcat_id=99&Search=Go" target="_blank">Olympus Evolt E-520</a></td>

</tr>

<tr bgcolor="BBBBBB"><th align="left" valign="baseline">Lens </th>

<td><a href="http://photo.pgpartner.com/search.php?form_keyword=Olympus+Zuiko+Digital+40%2d150+II+%284%2e0%2d5%2e6%29&topcat_id=99&Search=Go" target="_blank">Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150 II (4.0-5.6)</a></td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</td>

</tr>

<tr><th align="left" valign="top">Custom Fields</th>

<td> </td>

</tr>

<tr><th align="left" valign="baseline">Technical Details</th>

<td>Exposure Date: 2011:11:29 09:10:35;<br />ImageDescription: OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA;<br />Make: OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP. ;<br />Model: E-520 ;<br />ExposureTime: 1/800 s;<br />FNumber: f/8;<br />ISOSpeedRatings: 200;<br />ExposureProgram: Aperture priority;<br />ExposureBiasValue: 0;<br />MeteringMode: Pattern;<br />Flash: 8;<br />FocalLength: 40 mm;<br />Software: Adobe Photoshop CS5.1 Windows;</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

<p>Using the ExifTool software by Phil Harvey, and his listing here on EXIF Tags -><br /><a href="http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/EXIF.html">http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/TagNames/EXIF.html</a><br /><br /><br>

I write the following tags for image scans from the Nikon F6 Film Camera:<br>

-IFD0:Make=Nikon<br />-IFD0:Model=NIKON F6<br />-IFD0:UniqueCameraModel=NIKON F6<br /><br /><br>

For earlier film camera models, by substituting for the <em>F6</em>: F2, F3, F4, F5, or F100 as necessary. For example in the following data fields as displayed in Bridge:</p>

<p> </p><div>00aJ93-460497584.jpg.1cab24f6f3a24ef4fdc86a85b1c08f46.jpg</div>

<p>Josh,<br /> I would think that photo.net by now would have the most complete list that exists anywhere in the form of it's uploaded photo database. It shouldn't be to hard to extract from the image file server if you can get access to a few common open source tools like ImageMagick. Here is what I used on my misc images directory collected over the years.<br /> find ./images -type f -name \*.jpg -print0 | xargs -0 identify -format '%[EXIF:make], %[EXIF:model]\n' | sort | uniq<br /> and the output:<br /> Canon, Canon EOS 5D Mark II<br />Canon, Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT<br />Canon, Canon PowerShot A510<br />Canon, Canon PowerShot SD600<br />Canon, Canon PowerShot SD780 IS<br />Google, Nexus One<br />HTC, TITA100<br />NIKON CORPORATION, NIKON D70<br />Nikon, Nikon SUPER COOLSCAN 8000 ED<br />SONY, NEX-5<br /><br /></p>

<blockquote>

<p>I would think that photo.net by now would have the most complete list that exists anywhere in the form of it's uploaded photo database. It shouldn't be to hard to extract from the image file server if you can get access to a few common open source tools like ImageMagick.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>In one sense, yes, you would think that. But there are a couple issues that cause some trouble. The most noticeable of which is that many people uploaded images without EXIF for a long time. Particularly when photo.net had a much less robust uploading "widget". And the fact that images with useful info are piled in with images without useful info all spread across the years makes it a somewhat tricky database pull.</p>

<p>That having been said, I have asked Jin to see what he can do on his end. But I thought we could start via this method as well and at least make a good run at collecting the most crucial cameras in case Jin's method runs into some sort of snag.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...