Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #1

Help with Epson scanner

Okay guys, I have a problem.

Everyone is always recommending the Epson flatbeds for scanning film, so when I saw one at a thrift store, I had to grab it. It's the older 1660 Photo model, and seems to be fairly complete. Just one problem: no power supply.

Anyone know of a cheap source for a power supply, or even just the non-standard connector on that plugs into the scanner? I don't want to spend a great deal on a power supply without knowing that the scanner works. But I really do want to get it working.

Is the power supply for the 1660 the same as the later scanners?

Any suggestions?

Wes

06-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is what on Epson webside about 1660's power requirements:
Voltage: AC100 - 120V, Frequency: 49.5 - 60.5hz, Power Consumption: 20W

They are exactly same as 4490's power requirements.
06-18-2010, 06:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks, but that's just the power from the wall outlet. The scanner takes 24 volts, and I could probably manage that. But the connector going into the scanner is not quite like anything else I've seen. I need the power supply or the connector to get power to it, short of opening it up and wiring the power in directly (I've thought about it).

Oh well, another project to tear into. ;-)
06-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Can you provide picture of the connector.

06-18-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My 4490 AC adapter has output of 24V/1.1A. If you can get a power supply with same (or more) amount of output it should work. The connector to the scanner has a round pin inside as positive.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-19-2010, 08:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks! That at least gives me an idea of what I'm looking for. I've never seen a connector like that before, but maybe I can find one somewhere. Wish me luck.
06-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hrm. I have a 4490 with some problems, which are probably mechanical but may just involve the machine it's hooked up to not being OK with the drivers.

But, maybe I'll consider this an impetus to break down and try to a) See if by chance the little feller works with a newer machine, and if not, well, go in there and see if I can fix it. I've been reluctant to because the bed has a few spots that usually work. If all this fails and you haven't found a power supply, maybe I can sell you this one for some nominal amount toward me getting something functional, too.

Also, though, try the Epson online store. It may be that easy.

06-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #8

Original Poster
Yeah, I checked the online store. They currently have a model, I think it was the 4490, for $109 refurbished. If I'm going to start spending much money, I'll go that route. But I have the 1660, (and I don't have th $109) and I'm just trying to get it to work.

And thanks to ddhytz, I now know what the connector looks like. I checked at Radio Shack, and they have the connector. But it's $7 just for the connector, and then I still have to rig it to a power supply. Hmmmm.

One way or another, I'll get it to work, or find out that it does not work. I have 30 years worth of negatives needing to be scanned, and it's time I got started on it.

Thanks again.
06-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Hrm. I have a 4490 with some problems, which are probably mechanical but may just involve the machine it's hooked up to not being OK with the drivers.

But, maybe I'll consider this an impetus to break down and try to a) See if by chance the little feller works with a newer machine, and if not, well, go in there and see if I can fix it. I've been reluctant to because the bed has a few spots that usually work. ...
Have you tried Vuescan? The trial version is free and it works with almost any scanner, includeing all of the Epsons. It should circumvent your driver problems.

Ben
06-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #10
Inactive Account

But, maybe I'll consider this an impetus to break down and try to a) See if by chance the little feller works with a newer machine, and if not, well, go in there and see if I can fix it. I've been reluctant to because the bed has a few spots that usually work. If all this fails and you haven't found a power supply, maybe I can sell you this one for some nominal amount toward me getting something functional, too.

Also, though, try the Epson online store. It may be that easy.
Some processing software packages are able to import via Twain from most optical input devices (scanners). Did you try just doing a generic import?

06-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Some processing software packages are able to import via Twain from most optical input devices (scanners). Did you try just doing a generic import?

I've forgotten what I did: I'd been hooking this scanner up to an old Mac G4, and the included software, though occasionally in the way, I don't think was necessary if going via Elements, (Crashy anyway) but nonetheless, unless there is something about the drivers which is making the tracking think the bed is wider than it is, that skipping -toothed-belt/tracking problems, the problem would probably appear to be mechanical. I was out a lot over the holiday, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

If they're available again for a hundred dollars, I'm tempted to just get another one, though that refurb deal is where I got this one. (It took me too long to figure out the scanner was the problem and not me to return this thing. That was a major bummer. Still, everyone says these are really good units: I've never heard of anyone else having a problem, btw) Plastic negative carriers seem way under-constructed for film flatness, though. Have these guys ever *handled* actual negatives?

But anyway, there we are.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 06-22-2010 at 12:35 PM.
06-22-2010, 04:55 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I've forgotten what I did: I'd been hooking this scanner up to an old Mac G4, and the included software, though occasionally in the way, I don't think was necessary if going via Elements, (Crashy anyway) but nonetheless, unless there is something about the drivers which is making the tracking think the bed is wider than it is, that skipping -toothed-belt/tracking problems, the problem would probably appear to be mechanical. I was out a lot over the holiday, so I haven't gotten to it yet.

If they're available again for a hundred dollars, I'm tempted to just get another one, though that refurb deal is where I got this one. (It took me too long to figure out the scanner was the problem and not me to return this thing. That was a major bummer. Still, everyone says these are really good units: I've never heard of anyone else having a problem, btw) Plastic negative carriers seem way under-constructed for film flatness, though. Have these guys ever *handled* actual negatives?

But anyway, there we are.
They are, and I doubt it.

The Epson scanners Do a nice job particularly with larger formats (V700 with MF and LF film). If I were just doing 35mm I would probably have gone with a dedicated 35mm film scanner.

Good luck with it.

06-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I have a 1640 (bought new) which is still going strong! Don't use it much now (I had the brilliant idea that it would be easier to proof my negs on screen but found the tonality of the scans didn't match the prints and it just confused the issue!). I didn't think it had a power pak but maybe it does... it hasn't been moved for many years!!! I just use the Twain driver thru PS which works fine for my purposes.