IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Orchids for pseudobulb beauty

Tracy

Since many orchids are only annual bloomers, I have come to appreciate the actual plants in many cases, especially the pseudobulbs.  I'm waiting for my Encyclia hanburii to push out some inflorescence right now, but find myself enjoying the color and large round pseudobulbs even when its not in bloom.  A blossom will be a plus, but really just a bonus on an otherwise beautiful plant the rest of the year.  Are you growing any orchids for something other than the blossom?  If so what are they and what do you find interesting or attracting about it?

20180321-104A8876.jpg

20180321-104A8877.jpg

• Upvote 6

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Very unique look.... I like it too.

Ed Mijares

Whittier, Ca

Psyco Palm Collector Wheeler Dealer

Zone 10a?

I just started (again) with orchids. I prefer orchids with interesting foliage to orchids with beautiful flowers, but if a plant has both...all the better! I got Oncidium mendenhall 'Hildos' for its mottled leaves (pic below). A large specimen of Grammatophyllum scriptum is on my wishlist because it's an awesome looking plant! Dendrobium platygastrium and Chysis limminghei are also a cool looking plants on my wishlist.

IMG_1568.JPG

• Upvote 4

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

While there are many awesome examples (Like Tracy's Encyclia/ Missi's Oncidium) of Orchids that draw interest outside of flowering, I really can't think of many that can top orchids in the Catasetinae alliance when it comes to Pseudobulbs. When I resurrect my orchid collection, this group is near the top of the  'to-acquire first' list. 

One of the most well-known examples from Florida ( and Sonora, Mex.) native Cyrtopodium punctatum, aka the Cow's Horn / Cigar Orchid. This is one of the few Orchid sp. that can actually survive under desert-like conditions, provided it gets shade from about 11am- sunset.
I've come close twice to picking up offsets propagated from a specimen cultivated for years in the Greenhouse of well known collector/researcher down in Tucson. 

Another species high on the list was one I saw on a table during a judging event at USF in Tampa back in 2010. There are several others in this Genera I've been in search of since then. A few with solid Black flowers.

Mormodes sinuata X tuxtiensis  'Exotic Treat' (  will apologize ahead of time for the "not-so-great" picture quality.. thought i'd taken a better, overall shot. One reason to always take at least 3 pictures of anything, and/ or double check your images)

53988_164235863600648_1190588_o.jpg.8acd

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

While there are many awesome examples (Like Tracy's Encyclia/ Missi's Oncidium) of Orchids that draw interest outside of flowering, I really can't think of many that can top orchids in the Catasetinae alliance when it comes to Pseudobulbs. When I resurrect my orchid collection, this group is near the top of the  'to-acquire first' list. 

One of the most well-known examples from Florida ( and Sonora, Mex.) native Cyrtopodium punctatum, aka the Cow's Horn / Cigar Orchid. This is one of the few Orchid sp. that can actually survive under desert-like conditions, provided it gets shade from about 11am- sunset.
I've come close twice to picking up offsets propagated from a specimen cultivated for years in the Greenhouse of well known collector/researcher down in Tucson. 

Another species high on the list was one I saw on a table during a judging event at USF in Tampa back in 2010. There are several others in this Genera I've been in search of since then. A few with solid Black flowers.

Mormodes sinuata X tuxtiensis  'Exotic Treat' (  will apologize ahead of time for the "not-so-great" picture quality.. thought i'd taken a better, overall shot. One reason to always take at least 3 pictures of anything, and/ or double check your images)

Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll add 'Exotic Treat' to my wish list! Lovely! 

Cyrtopodium punctatum has been on my wish list. There was a famous HUGE specimen in Everglades National Park. Unfortunately Hurricane Irma toppled it and it landed face down in the flood waters and rotted away. :rant:

• Upvote 1

Missi,

:o Hadn't heard about that specimen being lost to Irma, bummer..

Can't be certain ( fairly sure that locations of what mature Cyrtopodium p. specimens that remain in habitat are kept secret by the wildlife / conservation officials. down there) but I think Fairchild has been working on propagation and re-introduction efforts based off seed collected off that specimen at one time. Anyway, Might be worth looking into. May contact myself them in the future if all other avenues don't pan out. Ideally, id like to have a specimen propagated from Florida stock and another which was a clone or seed-started from those plants found in Sonora to assess any, possibly distinct differences that might exist between the two. 

One thing I've been told regarding the entire Catasetinae alliance is some are easy, others can be a bit "challenging".. I believe several have a very distinct "dry" season and can rot on a dime if they get wet. Still, there are numerous crosses that I'm told are easier to grow / not as touchy..

Not to get too far off topic, If you can, or haven't yet had the chance to attend, Redlands will be having their annual Orchid Festival soon. Next to the Pac.Orchid Expo held annually in San Francisco, Redlands is one of the most amazing (almost overwhelming) experiences anyone into plants can have. 

I look at Redlands the same way one might if you had 20 of the greatest Palm growers from around the world selling the best of their offerings together at Fairchild.. Like I said,  there comes a moment where you aren't quite sure where to start.. rewarding none the less.  I will get back there one of these days to attend again... And explore the Spice Park more.

• Upvote 2

Great plants, everyone! All are outstanding in their own way, as you each describe! I think one other enjoyable aspect, on top of interesting foliage and beautiful or really cool flowers, is a nice fragrance! I personally feel Encyclias and Catasetinae are some of the very best in that category! (Sorry Missi...no fragrance if I recall correctly on yours, but that gorgeous foliage and what I think is one of the most interesting orchid flowers in existence more than make up for that!) 

Catasetinae are a favorite of mine, and yes, most do go dormant and can be left completely dry until growth is well under way in spring!   Most have been super easy, once one gets the hang of that quirk of their culture! I actually enjoy that break as well, since little care is required during that time, other than keeping them from getting too cold and keeping an eye out for that new growth!

So sad about that Cyrtopodium punctatum!  :( Photos of what I believe must have been that one, in full bloom, were what inspired me to purchase one I at the Redlands show. The flowers looked like a huge swarm of bees hovering above the massive plant! Unbelievably cool! That would be awesome if Fairchild is indeed working on propagation/reintroduction! 

And yes, Missi, you (and any others here interested in orchids) most definitely should go to the Redlands festival if at all possible! (Meet ya there?! ;)) It is seriously well worth a trip!  Hard to describe the scope of it but Silas_Sancona has come very close with his analogy! 

Back to the topic of this discussion, don’t know if anyone’s seen or heard of Neofinetia (technically Vanda now) falcata, aka Samurai orchids, but they’re a miniature orchids native to Japan and as part of the Japanese culture, they’ve been grown for hundreds of years specifically for an almost infinite number of variations in their foliage as well as their flowers. It’s hard to choose just one representative, but here’s a variegated one. And speaking of fragrance, these tiny flowers smell heavenly!  :rolleyes:

5EB5854F-AF19-495F-8180-70F45B54D851.jpeg

• Upvote 6

On 3/24/2018, 1:10:04, Tracy said:

Since many orchids are only annual bloomers, I have come to appreciate the actual plants in many cases, especially the pseudobulbs.  I'm waiting for my Encyclia hanburii to push out some inflorescence right now, but find myself enjoying the color and large round pseudobulbs even when its not in bloom.  A blossom will be a plus, but really just a bonus on an otherwise beautiful plant the rest of the year.  Are you growing any orchids for something other than the blossom?  If so what are they and what do you find interesting or attracting about it?

20180321-104A8876.jpg

20180321-104A8877.jpg

Interesting. When I first started growing orchids I thought that Paphiopedilums (slipper orchids) looked OK when out of bloom, but most of the rest just looked unkempt with roots going everywhere.

I soon learned to appreciate the diversity of the foliage and roots as well as the weird and wonderful flowers. Now I am even more impressed as I see the adaptations of the epiphytes on my trees even surviving hurricanes and the dry season with no care.

Nature is amazing.

Thanks for the photos everyone.

• Upvote 2

Cindy Adair

Another favorite right now is Epidendrum lacustre.  When I got this Andy from Andy's Orchids explained and showed me that there are green forms and the ones with more colorful foliage.  I know the one I have is from Panama and has the colorful foliage, but I don't recall if the other variety is from Panama as well, or elsewhere in Central America.

20180402-104A8965.jpg

• Upvote 4

Need...more orchid....foliage...pics....:innocent:

On 4/4/2018, 9:43:23, Missi said:

more orchid....foliage

Encyclia maderoi with fat round pseudobulbs again.

20180402-104A8954.jpg

• Upvote 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018, 9:43:23, Missi said:

Need...more orchid....foliage...pics....:innocent:

Why just foliage?

20180425-104A9181.jpg

20180425-104A9126.jpg

20180425-104A9174.jpg

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Here's some recent eye candy...my Grammatophyllum Broga Tiger snuck out a flower spike. I only got this plant last month and repotted it upon receiving. I took this pic on 4/30. It has quadrupled in length over the past 7 days! :yay:

IMG_1820.JPG

• Upvote 4

On 3/27/2018, 11:32:20, CB Lisa said:

Back to the topic of this discussion, don’t know if anyone’s seen or heard of Neofinetia (technically Vanda now) falcata, aka Samurai orchids, but they’re a miniature orchids native to Japan and as part of the Japanese culture, they’ve been grown for hundreds of years specifically for an almost infinite number of variations in their foliage as well as their flowers. It’s hard to choose just one representative, but here’s a variegated one. And speaking of fragrance, these tiny flowers smell heavenly!  :rolleyes:

5EB5854F-AF19-495F-8180-70F45B54D851.jpeg

These ones are super nice too because they're cold hardy! 

• Upvote 1

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

On 5/7/2018, 5:18:00, Missi said:

Here's some recent eye candy...

Well, while I love the foliage on the Epidendrum lacustre, I can't complain about these flowers either!

20180511-104A9257.jpg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Tracy said:

Well, while I love the foliage on the Epidendrum lacustre, I can't complain about these flowers either!

20180511-104A9257.jpg

I want one of these! Where did you find yours? Is it too hot in S. Florida for them? Probably.

7 hours ago, Missi said:

I want one of these! Where did you find yours? Is it too hot in S. Florida for them? Probably.

"Epidendrum lacustre (the "lake Epidendrum) is a sympodial orchid which is known to grow both epiphytically and lithophytically in the cloud forests and rainforests of Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Peru and Venezuela at altitudes ranging from 1.2—2.5 km.  I got mine from Andy at Andy's Orchids."  I didn't see it on his on line ordering, but have seen them in person and acquired mine at one of his open houses.  You could probably call and talk to someone at Andy's and see what they say.  It does sound like these prefer a cooler growing species, which fits the bill for where I'm growing mine in a shady area, not really cold, but rarely hot.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

More Grammatophyllum flower progress (sorry, I know this is a pseudobulb post), the first bloom is about to open! Plus a new specimen I got for the form of the flower spike, secondly for the color/pattern of the blooms (Phalaenopsis cornu cervi)...

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Missi said:

More Grammatophyllum flower progress (sorry, I know this is a pseudobulb post), the first bloom is about to open!

It's ok to digress a little because your still on orchids and what you find appealing about them.  That flower spike on the Phaleonopsis is interesting looking too!  Thanks for sharing that, as I had never seen that particular species.  Please share the flower when it opens as well, we will have the progression of an interesting flower spike to final product.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Tracy said:

It's ok to digress a little because your still on orchids and what you find appealing about them.  That flower spike on the Phaleonopsis is interesting looking too!  Thanks for sharing that, as I had never seen that particular species.  Please share the flower when it opens as well, we will have the progression of an interesting flower spike to final product.

Thank you, Tracy. I will!

Miltoniodes (Oncidium) reichenheimii oblong disk shaped pseudobulb.  Not its even flowering and attracting some small native bees from my area.  I get lots of these little bees and am noticing them more since the decrease in honey bees over the last decade.

20180531-104A9486-2.jpg

20180415-104A9125.jpg

20180531-104A9487.jpg

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Miltoniodes (Oncidium) reichenheimii oblong disk shaped pseudobulb.  Not its even flowering and attracting some small native bees from my area.  I get lots of these little bees and am noticing them more since the decrease in honey bees over the last decade.

20180531-104A9486-2.jpg

20180415-104A9125.jpg

20180531-104A9487.jpg

Nice Oncidium Tracy.  The "Bee" in the picture is actually a Hover Fly species, likely Allograpta obliqua,  Common  Oblique Syrphid.

Just now, Silas_Sancona said:

The "Bee" in the picture is actually a Hover Fly species, likely Allograpta obliqua,  Common  Oblique Syrphid.

Interesting!  I've been seeing a lot of these around flowers in the garden.  Lots of these hanging around the mango when its loaded with blossoms!  Thanks for the id, I'll have to look them up.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

Interesting!  I've been seeing a lot of these around flowers in the garden.  Lots of these hanging around the mango when its loaded with blossoms!  Thanks for the id, I'll have to look them up.

Check out Bug Guide.net. Great resource.  Adults feed on Nectar and pollen. Very beneficial in the garden.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Silas_Sancona said:

Check out Bug Guide.net. Great resource.  Adults feed on Nectar and pollen. Very beneficial in the garden.

Funny, before I saw this post, that's where I went to look it up...  I was very pleasantly surprised to read that the pupa feed on aphids.  Good old Iowa State Entomology Department hard at work for us!

12 hours ago, Tracy said:

Mangoes are actually mostly pollinated by flies! I learned this at a garden meetup. To attract the most flies, the garden owner hung bottles containing pieces of rotten fish in her mango trees when they went into bloom! Now when I check in on my own mango trees, I notice the small flies hovering around all the flower spikes! Very fascinating!

Flower update from an orchid with big, beautiful pseudobulbs, although this is regarding its flowers. My Gramm. 'Broga Tiger' just started opening its blooms. The flower spike is currently 2.5 feet long and growing longer daily! :yay:

gramm.jpg

gramm2.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/26/2018, 5:56:54, Missi said:

I prefer orchids with interesting foliage to orchids with beautiful flowers, but if a plant has both...all the better!

I saw this today, but hesitated on purchasing it as it is listed as preferring intermediate temperature ranges.  Its from Madagascar, Cynorkis gibbosa.  It has both an interesting flower and attractive foliage.  I'm worried that its likely a greenhouse only orchid in my climate. Nice speckles of reddish brown, and the leaves get larger as the plant matures.  The photos of flowers below were smaller plants just getting to flowering size.

20180623-104A9794.jpg

20180623-104A9795.jpg

• Upvote 2

On 6/24/2018, 12:14:10, Tracy said:

I saw this today, but hesitated on purchasing it as it is listed as preferring intermediate temperature ranges.  Its from Madagascar, Cynorkis gibbosa.  It has both an interesting flower and attractive foliage.  I'm worried that its likely a greenhouse only orchid in my climate. Nice speckles of reddish brown, and the leaves get larger as the plant matures.  The photos of flowers below were smaller plants just getting to flowering size.

20180623-104A9794.jpg

20180623-104A9795.jpg

Oh my word! That is stunning!! A quick search shows me it is native to high altitudes. Darn cloud forests! :rage::innocent: