• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It was 20 years ago today Torvalds let us all play: Linux 20th Birthday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Happy Birthday to Linux!

Linux 20th Anniversary Celebration Website!

314393_10150277722198547_41911143546_7990010_62812_n.jpg

20 years ago today one Linus Torvalds made this post...

Hello everybody out there using minix -
I’m doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won’t be big and
professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones. This has been brewing
since april, and is starting to get ready. I’d like any feedback on
things people like/dislike in minix, as my OS resembles it somewhat
(same physical layout of the file-system (due to practical reasons)
among other things).
I’ve currently ported bash(1.08) and gcc(1.40), and things seem to work.
This implies that I’ll get something practical within a few months, and
I’d like to know what features most people would want. Any suggestions
are welcome, but I won’t promise I’ll implement them
Linus (torva…@kruuna.helsinki.fi)
PS. Yes - it’s free of any minix code, and it has a multi-threaded fs.
It is NOT protable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never
will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that’s all I have :-(.
- Linus Torvalds August 25th, 1991

YouTube Video Celebrating 20 Years of Linux!

Jobiensis

Linus has really earned himself a place along Gates and Jobs. One of the top shapers of the current technology industry. It's kind of sad that he doesn't seem to get as much respect, I presume because he isn't a billionaire.

Vanillalite

Jobiensis said:
Linus has really earned himself a place along Gates and Jobs. One of the top shapers of the current technology industry. It's kind of sad that he doesn't seem to get as much respect, I presume because he isn't a billionaire.

He gets respect when needed, but he isn't a house hold name. Time put him on their top 100 most influential list of people in the world today more than a few times. He just doesn't have Gates or Jobs like visibility even if everyone uses Linux in some direct or indirect way every day of their life now. :p

shuri

Banned
Jobiensis said:
Nope, if he wasn't a notorious ass with elitism problems, he wouldn't be in that situation :S

Vanillalite

shuri said:
Nope, if he wasn't a notorious ass with elitism problems, he wouldn't be in that situation :S

I wouldn't say it's elitism. He's just not out there to be this super nice guy. He's admitted as much saying hey I'm NOT a nice guy. He's got a decent sense of humor though when it comes to that. :p

Vanillalite

Azih said:
OP has horribly scaled graphics. Sorry dude, but it's true.

Hey I made my post from my Chromebook so I didn't have much to work with. You can click the link in the OP and see the pics in fullsize though! :p

Jobiensis

shuri said:

I'm not sure if you are serious, but Steve Jobs is the poster boy 'notorious ass with elitism problems'. None of these tech leaders are really nice people and they tend to think of themselves very highly.

Linux with KVM and OpenVZ has made my life so much easier. I'll be very happy when I have no Windows servers to support.

SUPREME1

Banned
I've always dismissed Linux as something only true tech geeks could fuck with, so I've never considered it when purchasing a PC.

Never even heard of Linus before this thread either, but I do thank him for his contribution to the computer world.

Jobiensis

SUPREME1 said:
I've always dismissed Linux as something only true tech geeks could fuck with, so I've never considered it when purchasing a PC.

It's never really taken off in the desktop market. As a big Linux fan, I feel most people would be happier with OS X or Windows.

But for most server purposes, Linux is vastly superior.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Jobiensis said:
It's never really taken off in the desktop market. As a big Linux fan, I feel most people would be happier with OS X or Windows.

But for most server purposes, Linux is vastly superior.
I am a linux fan and an OSX fan. Its nice that OSX is unix based. You get a good UI and all the unix tools and backend you need.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Why would you do that? said:
Good ol' Linux. I actually thought it was older than that. Truly shaped a lot of today's computer industry.

Unix is obviously quite a bit older.

Anyways, gotta love Linux. Still sort of waiting for a great desktop though.

Vanillalite

SUPREME1 said:

Never even heard of Linus before this thread either, but I do thank him for his contribution to the computer world.

Biggest thing is it's THE goto "os" for larger server projects. Even if it hasn't and might not ever take off as a desktop OS millions if not billions use Linux everyday just by doing their general web browsing.

Plus it's also the goto OS in the scientific community for any large scale projects such as CERN. The United States Government uses it all the time in places like the CIA, NSA, Pentegon etc... as a secure OS to roll with.

You also have millions of people with Android phones out there that have no earth idea their phone has anything to do with Linux. They'd think Linux is some alien from outer space or some shit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It's sort of funny to me Linus never intended Linux to run on anything other than the first system he was developing it for. Now look at it and everything it powers.

Linus Torvalds said:
I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones... It is NOT portable (uses 386 task switching etc), and it probably never will support anything other than AT-harddisks, as that's all I have :-(.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Linux has been my main desktop environment since 1995. Back then I was looking for a free C compiler, never had heard about GNU or anything, and discovered Linux that way. I couldn't believe a full operating system was free like that. I remember downloading Slackware (2.0 iirc) on disks (something like 15) and going home, and of course quite a few disks were corrupted since they were cheap ones, so it took me 3 days to actually get it to install fully including X11.
Fun times :)
I have a Windows PC, but my Linux one is running 24/7 and is the one I use for everything but video capture and encoding related things.
At work I have 127 servers under my supervision (according to Nagios, but there are a few more), all running Debian (5.0, migrating to 6.0 slowly but surely). At home I run debian sid, but I'm thinking about switching to Ubuntu.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
ILM was a SUSE house for a long while, then a couple years ago switched over to CentOS. Most other vfx houses and animation studios like Pixar also use Linux as their standard OS.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
In honor of this thread I'm download the Fedora 16 alpha. :) Just gonna poke around with the live CD.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
lunarworks said:
I'm just glad we've finally stopped hearing about "The year of Linux on the desktop".

Yup. Although 2010/2011 were arguably the years of "Linux on the phone." :p

kehs

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
I have used Linux zero times over the last 20 years... still, congrats, I guess....

(You're probably using a variant of it right now and you don't even know it)

Vanillalite

xbhaskarx said:
I have used Linux zero times over the last 20 years... still, congrats, I guess....

I can with certainty say you've used Linux. The pure fact that basically everyone uses Google.com means they've used Linux in some way seeing how all of Google is powered by the world's largest Linux cluster.

Vanillalite

I'd be interested to know what Super Computers aren't running Linux, and what they are using instead? (Maybe some form of BSD?)

Cipherr

Blimblim said:
Linux has been my main desktop environment since 1995. Back then I was looking for a free C compiler, never had heard about GNU or anything, and discovered Linux that way.

Holy shit, me to, and for the exact same reason. It was the only way to get a C compiler for free for me. I too used floppies to install it, shitloads, and I had to make trips back and forth to a local library to use their computers to do it because I didn't have internet access at home. I will never forget that.

Vanillalite

Cipherr said:
Holy shit, me to, and for the exact same reason. It was the only way to get a C compiler for free for me. I too used floppies to install it, shitloads, and I had to make trips back and forth to a local library to use their computers to do it because I didn't have internet access at home. I will never forget that.

Having so many floppies was crazy back then. I didn't get into slack, but I got an early version of what the time was just called Red Hat Linux in some version of 2.0 from some neighborhood kids who had installed it. Shit blew my mind, but I was so young and clueless I couldn't figure out how to do anything. I was mesmerized though!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently I share the same birthday with Linux. I'm two years older than it, though.

More reason for me to keep up with my Fedora-learnin', I suppose.

Schlep

Good post, Stet, lol.

I think most people don't realize they have Linux-based devices. I have eight: Ubuntu PC (no Windows or Mac), HTC Evo, Asus Eee Pad Transformer, Kindle, Roku HD, TiVo, and both of my TVs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom