Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forever_a_newbie_z8_va

Are these new pseudo bulbs on Aurantiaca orchid?

forever_a_newbie_VA8
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi fellow orchid experts: wondering whether you could help me.

I bought my first cattleya orchid (Aurantiaca) in January this year. The plant was a bit too big and almost fell out of the pot. So after blooming I decided to repot it. And turned out, the root had been cut and there were 2 separate plants. I noticed the flower spikes were all on one plant. So I potted them separately.

Yesterday I noticed there are a bump on either plant. And I'm wondering (and hoping) whether these could be new growth? pseudo bulb maybe?

We are at end of spring and getting warmer temperature now. I have been putting them out during the day and will leave them outside in a couple weeks hopefully.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you very much and happy gardening!

Changsong

Comments (26)

• James _J
    2 years ago

Hello, nice looking plant

Those bumps are dormant eyes, usually there are a few, a main one and a few back ups. This is where the new growth sprouts from but not all of them will grow.

The plant will be growing in a direction, the growths with the flowers now are the youngest and they will push out the new growths to flower next year.

Since you say you have 2 plants in the pot you will likley get 2 new growths. Mature plants will sometimes sent out 2 growths or if the new growth is damaged one of the others might sprout.

As the plants get bigger the dormant eyes at the back of the plant might start to sprout. Some people clip the rhyzome to get the eyes in the back to sprout, this may be why you have 2 plants.

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked James _J
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    2 years ago

James, thank you so much for the detailed information. I surely learnt a lot!

I also notice, that there have been a lot of new roots coming from the young plant, but very few on the older one. I hope at least the younger plant will be happy enough to start new growth and bloom next year.

Happy blooming!

Changsong

• James _J
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thats normal with these orchids, they do all of thier growing in one season. Once mature they wont grow anymore leaves or roots. They do continue to supply food to the new growths.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    2 years ago

James you are so kind and I really appreciate your help! I will be patient to see whether the old plant will have new growth then! Changsong

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

After 1 month these brown bumps (dormant eyes) on both new and old plants have turned green. I hope they will start growing new leaves finally.

• jane__ny
    last year

Looks good! Congrats!

Jane

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked jane__ny
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

These green bumps have grown into new psudobulbs! 3 on the new plant, 1 on the old one. I am so happy!

But I am facing an issue. they are growing well since put outside, but I just noticed some ants on them. should I worry about these ants and try to get rid of them? what is the best approach?

Again thanks very much!

• Billsc
    last year

Newbie, Ants, the bane of orchid growers who put their plants outside in the summer! They just love nesting in the pots with that nice damp, open bark mix inside. Orchids secrete a sweet nectar that is often found around the sheaths that cover new growth, and especially around developing bloom spikes, and open flowers. These clear droplets of sticky liquid are pure sugar. They have no other taste but sweet, and the ants love it. Florida, and places further south may be exceptions, but the places where I have grown orchids, ants, other than their nuisance factor, cause no real damage to orchid plants, other than causing the bark mix to break down faster. But, you certainly do NOT want to carry these critters into your house in the fall, all tucked away inside your orchid pots! I kill 'em when I find them, using an inorganic poison that the ants will take into their nests, thinking it is food, which poisons their food supply. Check with a local pest control person for suggestions that will work in your location.

Bill

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked Billsc
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

Bill, thanks very much for the help. it is good to know that ants probably won’t do real harm to the plants. I was considering moving them back in the house even though they definitely do much better outside.

I just found a “plant safe” bug killer in the house and sprayed a bit. I will keep it light though, until in the winter when i need to bring them in.

• Billsc
    last year

Just always keep in the back of your mind that orchids live in some terribly wild, deep, and dark jungles, and they really do quite well in their environment, thank you. They are adaptable and really tough old plants. It's fascinating to see them growing in the wild, high up in the trees, beat up and chewed up, and sporting one of the most beautiful sprays of blooms you could wish to see. The plants you find in most peoples collections are truly pampered and petted far beyond anything they could imagine in nature. Don't be afraid of your plants, find out where they grow naturally, try to duplicate those conditions to a reasonable level, and enjoy your plants. They will adapt.

Bill

forever_a_newbie_VA8 thanked Billsc
  • forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

Bill, thanks again so much! I believe you made a great point. Very philosophycal and you said it in such a poetic way

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

A month passed and I am back to report the plants are doing great. The young plant has grown 3 new pseudo bulbs

The old plant grows 2 new pseudo bulbs

• James _J
    last year

Looks like a happy plant

• jane__ny
    last year

I grow all my orchids outside in Florida. I use these ant baits on the benches close to the house. They are so effective, the ants disappear in a week. I actually buy them on Amazon but it wouldn't let me link without giving my personal info. Walmart carries they too.

Jane

https://www.riteaid.com/shop/combat-ant-baits-6-baits-0-21-oz-6-g-0101641?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=tinuiti_organicshopping

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks janeJane. I am able to find it in amazon..

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

9/12: now the new stems are growing these flat pieces at the top. Could they be the start of flower stalk? Thanks!

• jane__ny
    last year

Yes. The buds will form inside those sheath’s. Congratulations!!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks jane. I am so excited!

• James _J
    last year

You can see the shadow of the buds inside the sheath. Personally i like to snip the top of the sheath to make it easier for the buds to push out

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

James: thank you! I saw the shadow but I thought it was just the light effect. After reading your comment I went out to check again. You are right that is something inside the sheath, though when I touched, I could not feel anything yet. I will let them grow a bit more then I will snip the top as you suggested. Thanks very much

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

10/12: now the tip of biggest pseudo-bulb’s sheath has turned brown and dry out. (I snipped the tips a few weeks ago). I hope this is normal and will not affect the flower development?

thanks!

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

I had given up on blooming this season., seeing the flowering tips keeping showing then drying. But today when I looked closely, something like a real flower spike showed up

This one is not as big

All three new pseudo bulbs in the new pot have developed this spike type thing. The two pseudo bulbs in the old pot still only have the dried sheath yet.

This is really a long wait but I am so happy now 🌼

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    last year

They finally bloom. There are total of 5 flower spikes on two plants, certainly not as many flowers as when I bought it 1 year ago but I am happy enough

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Update on Oct 7th, 2023.

I have gifted the smaller pot to a friend. On the bigger pot I keep, there are 5 new pseudo bulbs plus a tiny one. And flower spikes are developing on them. I plan to leave it outsider till later than last year.

This orchid has done so nicely (the one gifted to friend also has new growth and flower spikes) I feel much encouraged. I have since got 3 new Catalya orchids and they all do good. As said a lot of waiting but certainly very much worth it

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Blooming again! Feb 14, 2024. though I never could get that many flowers on each stem as when I got from the nursery, I am happy enough.