Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliewignell

Help to ID vintage garden Hippeastrums in Australia.

Julie Wignell
6 years ago

I have a number of vintage Hippeastrums that have no ID ( and may never do ). These first two lovely varieties were bought from a gardener in Queensland, Australia and had been growing in her garden for many, many years (30+).

They are both large flowered sturdy garden-type varieties with clear orangy-red colouration. They make very large bulbs and are identical in every detail except one has a neat creamy-white centre. The most similar varieties I could find to compare are 'Burgaro Grande' and 'Cocktail'. 'Red Lion' also has a similar 'look', but appears to be a more solid and deeper saturated colour- at least from the examples I have found on the net.

I was wondering if someone with
more experience could offer any suggestions on the true ID for these lovely older varieties?

Comments (44)

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Another unknown rosy-red heavily veined and dotted garden hippy that was growing back in the 1980's. Strong grower. Plain green leaves. Has anyone an idea on the possible ID?

• dondeldux z6b South Shore Massachusetts
    6 years ago

Hi Julie,

Although I'm afraid I can't help in identifying any of your lovely oranges in your first post I must say the striped, dotted and veined orange/pink in your second post is just outstanding!! I just love it what ever it is, I for one, would be proud to own it! It is stunning and unique, I've not seen one like it before... I hope you have a large clump to enjoy!!

Donna

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Donna. I realize many of these older hippies may not have had an official name......or that too many years have gone by, and names are long forgotten. I was hoping someone might recognize them. I am lucky enough to have some large bulbs that are multiplying well. Fresh blooms start off an orange/rose, but quickly take on a deeper rosy/red hue as they age. A lovely vintage plant!

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Hi Julie,

Whatever they are, they're beautiful :-))) I especially love your spotted/striped beauty, I would be so happy to have this in my collection.

Fred

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Fred. You and Donna seem quite taken with this particular vintage variety. I acquired it early this Summer. The seller remembered it growing at her parent's place when she was a child. It has all the appearances of a strong healthy disease-free plant, but I would like to give it a full growing season with some high-Summer heat stress before I consider it to be clear of any problems. This variety is a mid-sized bloomer- although the size may increase a little by next season now that it has had some time to settle in. It seems to 'sit' in the garden more sympathetically than some hippies.....it's outstanding, without being too loud.

Here is another one that I was hoping someone could identify. It was handed down from an elderly gardener, although I do not know how long he had it before it was passed on to me. I have had it eight years. I think it might be easier to ID this one.

A smaller flower on a neat compact plant. It has a nice way of 'looking up' rather than facing down as so many do. It most often has six flowers to the scape, although five is common. It also occasionally throws a co-joined flower as shown in one of the photos below. Flower is somewhat similar to Rapido but without the reflexed petals ( I have a Rapido to compare ).

Sound familiar to anyone?

Julie

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

I love the red ones and the fact that they're "mini's" makes them even more attractive to me :-))))

Julie Wignell thanked Fred Biasella
  • bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Since you are in Australia, perhaps you can contact macguires amaryllis farm for help. It is possible that the couple had retired but being a local, perhaps you can locate them anyway.

Julie Wignell thanked bossyvossy
  • Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi bossyvossy. Thank you for the good idea. Happily, Maguries are still
    actively in business. In fact I have a number of their very lovely
    varieties myself ( under screen ). Unfortunately, my vintage
    hippeastrums pre date even the opening of their farm, so it's unlikely
    they could be of much help. The smaller red hippy I am sure is an old
    release that I have read about somewhere, but I never came across the
    actual name. Probably my only chance at this stage of identifying any of
    these is if someone ( with a good long memory! ) recognizes them from
    the past. Here are a few of my Maguire varieties-just in case you are interested. Julie

'Margie Bruton'

'Queen of the Nile'

'Ada's Flower'

'Kielmount Orange'

'Milady's Magic'

'Bronze Pride'

• bossyvossy
    6 years ago

Sweet dreams amaryllis in USA grows a good number of maguires, happy to say. There is magic in the maguires hybridizing as the most prolific hippies I grow came from them. Of the ones you posted, i grow all but bronze pride. I really like orange amaryllises. Hope you find provenance of your old ones.

Julie Wignell thanked bossyvossy
  • Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Hi Julie,

Wow!!! Those are beautiful :-)) Thanks for posting your wonderful collection.

Fred

Julie Wignell thanked Fred Biasella
  • Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mmm.....I think I will have a go at answering my own inquiry. After reading ( once again ) everything I can find on the net, I will hazard a guess that the last smaller red bulb is, in fact, a 'Floris Hekker'. It is very hard to judge from pictures on the net, and even from my own photos as climate and garden conditions can impact on a bloom's size and colour, but the emaryllis description fits seamlessly with what I have here. It is indeed a 'bright orange/red mid sized smoothly tepaled bloom, with a lovely glossy inner sheen'. Blooms top out at around the 15 cm mark. A mid-sized very floriferous variety and the sort of plant that was freely available in stores around Australia back in 1996, when it was released. I found some earlier photos I had of this plant, and it matches the description and web photos much more closely than the plant does now.....garden conditions have changed it a little, I guess. Some other sites describe this variety as a deep velvety-red, but neither the colour or the flower shape on these sites seem to tie in with the one I have here- the emaryllis site has the match for what I have growing.

A black pot with 'Rapido' sits in the front, and what I think may be 'Burgaro Grande' is in the back far right of the photo. The possible 'Floris Hekker' is in the middle.

Same plant in 2015. The blooms that year were slightly larger and a softer red. I have no idea why. They received no extra fertilizer or treatment.

Facing the other way makes it look different again- in reality is has a smoother texture to the tepals.

These two photos are of the plant when I first had it growing in it's original pot, back in 2011.
    Back then it was a softer colour with less throat marking than now, and it looks closer ( at least to me ) to some of the illustrations I have come across on the web.
    A bloom from Summer of 2016 with the beautiful throat sheen. It appears more orange in these photos than it actually is. The freshness of the bloom and the strong sun make it seem so, but it settles into a bright red shade when fully open.

Have any of you grown 'Floris Hekker' ? Could you comment on whether I have the correct plant?

Julie

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

...and this is for bossyvossy. A better view of Maguires 'Bronze Pride'. A very sturdy flat-faced variety. I can't resist any orange Hippeastrum!! Love them!

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thought you might like to have a look at a few more Maguire's varieties. These are
    usually kept under screening here, and many are in very small pots, so blooms are not all that they could be....

....but still beautiful. These two photos above are Maguire's 'Nana Parnell'.

Maguire's 'Symphony'

Maguire's 'Winter Carnival'

Maguire's 'Coolgardie'

Maguire's 'Orange Jester' ( in love with this simply gorgeous orange!!!!! )

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maguire's 'Mum's Orange'

Maguire's 'Far Horizions' Not a very good example of the flower ( next year should be better ) but it has the most wonderful pearly sheen to the petals.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maguire's 'Jaffa'

Maguire's 'Guyra'

Maguire's 'Cheryl's Beauty' This flower is huge! And the most beautiful colour!!

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maguire's' Mumma Mia'

Maguire's ' Harbour Lights'

Maguire's 'City of Grafton'

Maguire's 'Lois'

Maguire's 'Anita'

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Maguire's 'Margie Bruton'

From left to right: 'Queen of the Nile', 'Margie Bruton' and 'Coolgardie'

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

From left to right: 'Anita', 'Bronze Pride', 'Keilmount Orange' and 'Milady's Magic'

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A couple of group photos of some of them to get a bit of an idea on flower size and shape.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Lower one is Maguire's 'Envious Lady', and the larger one is Maguire's 'Verdant Valley'. At the moment, I can't see any difference between the two myself....but maybe next year some difference will be detectable? They are both lovely, nevertheless. J.

6 years ago

Julie, You have a lovely collection there!! I have Kratatoa and Party Pooper two of my very favorites as well as about 5 others that I've had for years.

Thanks for sharing all your lovely flowers with us, I know it took a long time to load those all up for us!!

Donna

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes, Donna...loading up is a bit slow. When I have recovered I will share my vintage collection. I have a real soft spot for the lovely older varieties...they are my all-time favourites :)

6 years ago

Yes!! We all love the heirloom varieties, I have a few myself but don't know what they are!! We look forward to your pictures!

• jstropic (10a)
    6 years ago

Thanks so much for showing us these, Julie. They are all beautiful!. So many different colors, very very nice! - Jody

• lokai99
    6 years ago

Hi Julie. I actually have ordered Queen of the Nile, Lois, and Ada's Flower. If they look anything like yours, I shall be very happy with them!

Your Nana Parnell and Symphony are such rich reds. I can't decide if I like how recurred Nana is or if I prefer Symphony's wide open face.

Coolgardie is so saturated and vibrant! It's gorgeous!

Orange Jester also is a real eyecatcher.

Of course, your heirloom veined and dotted is something I am especially fond of. If you should find yourself with abundant pollen and self seeds I know where they could live.

Thank you for giving good example photos of what these treats look l8ke under your growing conditions. Many of us don't have access to these, so it is really nice to see these other cultivars. :)

Julie Wignell thanked lokai99
  • JL (Zone 6B MA)
    6 years ago

Wow these blooms are all so amazing and special!

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi lokai99. Happy to send you pollen or self-seed for the heirloom veined and dotted hippy whenever I have some available. Surprisingly, so far I haven't managed to get any seed at all, as pods have always aborted half way through maturing- which is very odd considering how robust the plant is in other aspects. It may be happier next year if left undisturbed. My season for flowering and pod production is around October to December, so this year is over for me. I also have another hippy you may be interested in. It's not one that I am overly fond of, and I haven't taken much care with it as it is, sadly, yet another virused eBay buy from last year. But it could be of some interest to you for it's seed.... if it's dots you are after.

It is an 'Orange Fantasy x Pink Surprise' cross. It changes colour from orange to more pinkish tones.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Below are some of my vintage collection. Some are very large flowered- some more modest. They may not excite many of you, but they 'knock my socks off '. It may be nostalgia. Or possibly their simple uncomplicated tough garden-worthiness that I admire- but to come across some of these old garden giants unexpectedly, can be quite astounding. Some are huge!

As 'Stella Lace' is the only variety I can put a name to, I have simply loaded them all up together for you. I hope you enjoy. Julie

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

'Stella Lace'

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Starts out orange, then changes to more of a red hue.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love this one. Colour is vibrant. A favourite of mine.

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• lokai99
    6 years ago

Hi Julie,

I was not the biggest fan of heirlooms when I first became interested in Hippeastrum, but I changed my tune. There is just something one must appreciate about these hardy and robust survivors. I am from the American South and I am lucky that there are many heirloom treasures still to be found.

Perhaps I can send you some seeds or pollen as well. I have access to a particularly lovely x johnsonii during April/May.

I have no beautiful blooms yet, but I hope to have some in a month or two. If you should be attracted to any of my blooms, just give a shout and I would love to send you pollen.

Also, as a dear forum friend of mine well knows, it is hard for me to pass up exotic crosses when I find them on Ebay. I am happy to share as I can't possibly grow out every individual seed of crosses I buy and make. I am happy to share! I can send you a list :).Others on this forum have been so generous with me and I would like to continue the good wll others have shown me.

Funny you should post your beautiful Stella Lace! I was discussing Stella Lace with my pollen fairy just two weeks ago lamenting how we'd never get access to it.

I certainly would love seeds or pollen from those beauties. I also like the other spotted one you mentioned.

I think your heirlooms are very beautiful. Photos 9-13 are very interesting. Photo 2, catching the light, is very nice. I like your camera!

~Joey

6 years ago

Julie, you have so many captivating heirloom plants there!!! I have always loved Stella Lace and yours is a real beauty!!! The curvy orange picture just underneath Stella Lace is gorgeous too as are many others. Thanks again for taking the time to upload these lovely pictures!! Does Stella Lace self and I wonder if you've ever grown any of her self seeds and if she looks like the original. She, particularly jumps off the page for me!! There are others too that I love including the one you say you love with the deep color!!!!

Thanks again for sharing these beauties!!

Donna

• Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Hi Julie,

I have to agree with Donna. They're all very beautiful, but the 2nd and 3rd pictures of Stella Lace are stunning :-))) They almost look like they have a feathered effect on their blooms. I would definitely treasure these :-))) Thank you for sending these lovely pictures and help to boost our moods :-))))

Fred

• Julie Wignell
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Donna, Joey, Fred and Carl ( and everyone else ),

Stella Lace came my way early this year as a mislabel from a very generous gardening friend of mine. Not the one I expected when it came to flowering, but most welcome. No seed was set this time round for me, but I have read of one other gardener having no trouble with seed production from this variety, but she didn't mention if the resultant plants looked anything like their parent. I will be happy to send over any self-seed or pollen produced on the next flowering- although I think seed would be the safer of the two. The plant looks healthy and happy enough, but I haven't had it for all that long, and I would hate to send any unknown problems along with the pollen.

As for the other varieties- if seeds matures next year from the ones you like, you are welcome to it. I have more than I can possibly use. The Maguire's are very strong pod producing plants and germinate well ( except for 'Nana Parnell' and 'Margie Bruton'...I haven't had any luck with them so far ) . Maybe I could try sending seed over to a few of you ( if it manages to get through ) and you could distribute it among yourselves once over there? I know, Fred, had his eye on one or two of them :)

Joey- I will look after that spotted one a little better, and try for seeds for you next October/November. Let me know what others you are interested in. Thank you for your generous offer- I'll keep an eye out for your blooms ( you never know! ), but to tell the truth, I think I have already over-done it here! The above is not a complete list! And then there are all the seedlings coming on! I really will have to do some culling over the next year or so.....but which are the ones that should go? Not a decision I can easily make!!

The seedling table!

These three pots are last year's seedlings. They grow quickly here, and it's easy to be over-run with hippeastrums in a very short time ( happy thought! ).
    Julie

• catsandhippies
    6 years ago

Hi Julie, I have to say thank you too for sharing your pictures and thoughts with us! It must be a real pleasure to walk through your garden when all those beauties are in bloom. I'm still looking for a variety that survives our winters here in Germany. I'm already over-run with bulbs and seedlings in my flat but can't stop pollinating and buying new bulbs. I thought this wouldn't be a problem if I could grow them outside but you are right, I just would have a lot more of them and the same problem in the end...

Anja

Julie Wignell thanked catsandhippies
  • Fred Biasella
    6 years ago

Hi Anja,

I completely agree...we seem to be gluttons for punishment and we'll fill every single spot with flowers :-))))

• edubose98
    5 years ago

Such beautiful amaryllis!

Sponsored
More Discussions