7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

08-11-2015:

13-09-2016:

14-12-2016 (same tree and pot):

Comments (36)

• John
    7 years ago

wow that is really looking nice what a great way to open up the branches.

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked John
  • Martin (retired viking from Denmark)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you, John. And merry Christmas. :-)

Cheers,

Martin

• rcharles_gw (Canada)
    7 years ago

Truly looking amazing, Martin. Love it in that pot and your top dressing.

Rick

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked rcharles_gw (Canada)
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Rick!

It needs a "haircut" again and soon a larger pot if the growth spurt continues. Oh, btw, I think that flower buds are on the way on 3-4 branches. It will be the very first flowers, then. :-)

• addicted2plants Southern IL USA
    7 years ago

Love the shape of her crown Martin. What a beauty! She looks like she will pop that pot in just another 6 months!

Tracy

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked addicted2plants Southern IL USA
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks, Tracy.

Yes, she is slowly pushing herself out of the pot. ;-) Before that happens, I will have to prune the branches. Again. She is growing out of shape. But I am still crossing my fingers that she will bloom before spring is here. 3 (4?) branches look mature, just about to grow flower buds.

• tan808
    7 years ago

Hi Martin, another great looking arabicum. Is it grown in 100% gritty mix? Thanks.

Tan

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked tan808
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Tan, thanks.

It is grown in a 50-60% / 40-50% mix of coir / grit. I find it suitable for growing in my controlled growth environment (grow tent with LED light).

• dh_a
    7 years ago

Beautifull!!!

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked dh_a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

dh_a, well thank you.

After some more pruning and pinching:

I ordered bonsai aluminium wire today. This one will benefit from wiring...

• bragu_DSM 5
    7 years ago

it certainly is taking shape!

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • eeyore94sooregon
    7 years ago

Beautiful!

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked eeyore94sooregon
  • eeyore94sooregon
    7 years ago

Love the pot, also!

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked eeyore94sooregon
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hmm, the Japanese bonsai aluminium wire I recently ordered is too thin for this tree. I probably need 5mm/0.2 inch wire to keep the thickest branches in place (20-25mm/0.8-1.0 inches thick).

After a few wiring attempts: A fairly soft stem, 8mm/0.3 inches thick, can be shaped using a 1.5 mm/0.06 inch wire. If you are inexperienced, I can't recommend that you begin your bonsai career wiring your favourite adeniums. Try wiring adeniums with little or no potential because failure is to be expected (deep marks/scars). I am happy I did.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

I would have used the foam-padded kind, Martin.

Original Author
    7 years ago

I can't buy that here. I even had to buy the japanese wire online. I guess bonsai is not that popular in Denmark...

• Pagan
    7 years ago

Then just get foam-padded ones online next time. I'm too lazy, I just mow down branches I don't like. I have a suspicion anyway that once released, adenium branches will right itself and grow vertically. I have seen a branch actually turn 45 degrees upwards which looked ridiculous. To avoid this, the thing will have to be wired for a long time (years!) until the branch hardens significantly. New growths will still tend to be vertical. But you know that. It will have to be a combination of wiring and pruning. Sigh. Too much work lol

Original Author
    7 years ago

Maybe I can find the foam-padded ones in German or UK webshops. But a quick search on Amazon UK resulted in a list of seamless breastfeeding nursing bras and cotton full coverage wire-free padded bras. ;-)

I doubt that the thick branches of the arabicum in this thread will right themselves. At least some of them appear to have hardened to a point where they can't be bend anymore. I can't even bend that annoying almost vertical sidebranch on the far left side. So I pruned it some more.

• Pagan
    7 years ago

lol It will be challenging to use lingerie for this. Also, I can send you some, just say the word.

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked Pagan
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Pagan, thanks for the offer but it will probably be withheld by customs...

10-01-2017:

27-01-2017:

After pruning the branches, most of them have grown 2-3 new branches. A few has a only a single new branch and needs to be pruned again.

Original Author
    7 years ago

Update

21-05-2017:

2 years old Adenium arabicum 'RCN'. 14 cm/5.5 inches wide.

It needs a trim and more training after too generous watering. Next week I will repot it into a 3 or 4 gallon Smart Pot.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    6 years ago

Pagan, your plant is fantastic! Like the tie-down, too. Will this plant bloom?

Carol in Jacksonville

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Carol, I think that you meant "Martin", not "Pagan". Pagan has some lovely plants, though. ;-)

Thanks. It hasn't bloomed yet. Hopefully it will before I cut it down. ;-)

- Martin

• tan808
    6 years ago

Wow Martin, this arabicum beauty looks better and better with your care and grooming!

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked tan808
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rob, thanks for the info!

I have plenty of wire bought in a local bonsai shop, but I haven't used it yet. ;-) My plant would definitely benefit from some wiring and more pruning.

Tan808, thanks for commenting. I appreciate it. :-)

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    6 years ago

Ya, I did mean you, Martin! Sorry 'bout that.

Gorgeous plant! When you view the photos from top to bottom, it is interesting and fun to see how much it has grown and developed.

Carol

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update

After initial wiring and some light pruning (it will be wired and pruned some more):

• Peter Newcastle Aust spider mite breeder
    6 years ago

HI Martin if you want to learn about bonsai the one person I rate very highly is a fellow called Graham w Potter he is one of the best new age bonsai gardener'she is on utube. When I was mucking around with bonsai plants before I saw the light DR I have used what we call paper raffia natural 4mm tape it stops the bruising itso on ebay I checked for you any way best of luck.

Martin (retired viking from Denmark) thanked Peter Newcastle Aust spider mite breeder
  • 1beautylover2012
    6 years ago

Hi Martin, did you cut the end of the brunches? It looks like on the first photo above.

Polina.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Polina, yes, it has been pruned several times.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    6 years ago

Which sellers have such seeds, if it isn’t too tacky a question?

Original Author
    6 years ago

I buy seeds from Kesorn in Thailand. Look at adeniumseeds.com. Reliable and honest seller.

• ariel7576 (Puerto Vallarta, Mex.)
    6 years ago

I’ve gotten Ko seeds before. I’ll see if Kesorn can ship to Mexico. Thanks :)

• Hyn Patty, Western NC Mountains (USA)
    6 years ago

Now that I just spliced and repotted my black RCN's, you know we are going to want an update on this one for 2018, Martin! ;)