Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djthomp28

Mormodia Jumbo World

Mo. Jumbo World is a cross of Clowesia Grace Dunn and Mormodes buccinator. The cute little yellow flowers have a spicy medicinal fragrance. It is not my favorite smell but not as offensive as it sounds. The flowers are shorter lived (3 weeks than the Fredclarkarea, which last well over a month.

Comments (17)

• jane__ny
    9 years ago

Just beautiful! I would repot that into a really nice pot or even better, just display the plant in a beautiful ceramic pot, blue or pink. Lovely.

Jane

• aztcqn
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What delightful flowers!! I've only just "discovered" this class of orchids - thanks to Darlene's (Green Curls) fabulous Fredclarkeara After Dark 'Sunset Valley Orchids' - and am now looking to collect some of these. Thanks for posting.

• Ingrida
    9 years ago

Love the lovely blooms and the colouring.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Oh my, Darlene. I'll take you up on that, thank you. Just today received a baby Fredclarkeara After Dark "Black Pearl" and became the proud mom to a Monnierara Millenium Magic "Witchcraft" AND a cycnodes Wine Delight "Jem".
    I hope to have the same success as you have!

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

All wonderful selections! I am sure they will perform well of you. The After Dark 'Black Pearl' is on my wish list. I almost purchased one last weekend, but it was a decent sized division and above my budget. Darn self-control!

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Self-control is a word I need to say out loud a little more often. Impossible at an orchid show. I hope that I can do well with these as I have to grow them on for almost a whole year before I know if I done good.

I do have a question: Do the catasetum types lose their roots when resting? I notice strong root growth from the new green growth. Another of my bulb acquisitions has a tiny sprout with 1 inch rootlets and no roots on the old bulb.

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mine lose all of their leaves. Usually the root follow. I have read that some people don't have as dramatic of an experience with dormancy, but the overwhelming majority do. yours is doing exactly what it is supposed to.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Ahh well. Good to know. I was a little concerned about that.

• Judybird2014
    9 years ago

Gorgeous

• Sheila
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Still haven't got the knack of growing these. I'm wanting to get some of that 'crating' to use inside deeper trays. I've not had any luck finding anything like it. What what exactly is it called?

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It is call lighting louver. You can find it in the lighting section in home depot. It comes in Large sheets and you simply cut to size. It is much easier to keep clean than pebbles.

• aztcqn
    9 years ago

Can build cinder block benches and slat stands.....awesome idea!

• susanZ9B
    9 years ago

Hello friends, Darlene what a wonderful product find. I am trying to design a simple, cheap (what we have stashed in the wood area of the shed) shade area to do some epis. Lumber is not cheap and the lighting louvers may work just fine for bench area and it is bleachable if cleaning is needed between crops. Thanks for the tip.

The Mo. Jumbo World is outstanding. I love the canes, more like bulbs. They look like a chubby Dend. not to mention the spray of yellow/green flowers. Just lovely.

I am not familar with this type, gotta google. How would that variety do in Z9B Florida?

• Sheila
    8 years ago

Darlene, I'd forgotten that you posted this plant picture last year. I've just purchased one on eBay and was looking for culture info.

I keep telling myself that I must stop these impulse buys. Actually it was Nicks fault (I was checking out what he has listed) my surgeons fault (she's not allowing me to do ANYTHING FOR 8 days) and I bet I could come with more excuses given some time. LOL

i did read SVOs page but I like to look for info from hobbyists who are growing a plant as well. Any special growing tips? I know the important one.....don't water until roots are at least a couple inches long. I tried growing a clowesia a couple years ago and poor thing it did not survive. I want to do better this time!!!

• Darlene (GreenCurls)
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hope your are healing up nicely. Ebay can be a bad and good escape for an orchid lover.

As for the catasetinae, I am not sure I have a lot more advice than SVO. Here are a few things that were not completely clear to me: Repotting and dividing are best done before the growing season starts. But you still should withhold water until the roots are several inches. I used time released fertilizer and I fertilize with each watering in the summer. They grow really fast so need a lot of support. If you have good air movement, they can take full sun except for in the middle of the day. Spider mite LOVE their leaves. Be in the look out. You may even consider preventative measures. They can get top heavy. You may want to place the smaller plastic pot in a larger clay one. I think my Mormodia was one of the las to go into dormancy. The leaves dropped in January.

I hope this helps!

• Sheila
    8 years ago

Thank you Jane. Since I tend to do battle with spider mites on some other plants, I think I'll look to get some Bayers. I'll also add some of the time release when I pot it up. Hopefully I'll see blooms this coming Fall.