Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michoice

Bulbophyllum makoyanum

michoice
14 years ago

Doubts have been raised as whether or not this is makoyanum. It is similar to the illustration in Jay's encyclopedia( listed as a Cirrhopetalum) which has thinner petals and is paler in colour. Bulbophyllum freaks, any ideas please?

Comments (10)

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Cannot help much except to say that in the book Bulbophyllums and Their Allies by Emily S. Siegerist, Cirrhopetalum makoyanum is listed with a description (no plate) and Synonym Bulbophyllum makoyanum.

Just another instance where the Taxonomists have/are confusing humble orchid growers.

The description is to long for a one finger typist but a snippet says "....umbel, giving them the appearance of a sunflower."

• michoice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you arthurm, I'm sure it is makoyanum, probably a variable species.

• ntgerald
    14 years ago

That is probably a Cirrhopetalum brevibrachiatum, or Cirrhopetalum loherianum.

I have stopped posting photos of Philippine species in this gallery because it seemed to me no one else was interested in them. Everyone in this forum seem to prefer Central and South American species, if they're species at all.

• highjack
    14 years ago

Ntgerald IMO posting over here is a waste of time. So few people visit, you get one or two snippets, and it falls off the face of the earth. If someone does stumble over here and ask a question about the orchid, you answer it and they never respond to say g-t-h or thank you.

For general info, the Cirrhopetalum is now an empty genus, they are all Bulbophyllums now.

Brooke

• michoice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ntgerald for the photo, I do have one of those with identical flowers to yours so that confirms what makoyanum looks like. I have looked up both the others you suggest mine might be and both seem to have something in common. I acquired my plants from a species nursery but maybe a natural hybrid could have slipped in somewhere along the line,

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

Brooke wrote,
    Ntgerald IMO posting over here is a waste of time. So few people visit, you get one or two snippets, and it falls off the face of the earth. If someone does stumble over here and ask a question about the orchid, you answer it and they never respond to say g-t-h or thank you.

I agree.

Let's abandon this "Gallery" and use the "Discussion" side for fotos.

--Stitz--

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Wonder how many hits the photographs get over here? It is a bit rude to use a facility not as Garden web specifies. Especially so, in my case as i have never parted with any cash.
    Going on the Stats for the Photo Gallery associated with the local orchid society web page there may be many more lookers than posters.

• ntgerald
    14 years ago

...cool it, gentlemen.
    Maybe it is a feature of unmoderated forums, that people do not feel welcome? I recall that before 2005, the gallery was perhaps the busiest of its kind.

I raised the issue in the Conversations section, about the forum (gallery-discussion-conversation trio) losing participants, but not a whole lot reacted to it.

• highjack
    14 years ago

The participants on forums come and go. Most people that frequent this type forum lose interest and move on. If and when someone has a question, the "regulars" show up and answer the question.

I've been reading this forum since '01 and used to share pics of my blooms but found the interest generated wasn't worth the effort. When posted on the conversation side, they generated much more discussion concerning their growth habit, culture, bloom, etc. Many times the pics encouraged others to try something new and branch out into something other than a Phal.

I also remember a remark made by one of the regular posters on this side when he said posting over here meant he didn't have to answer questions. I interpreted that to mean - I will show you my plant, my photo skills and you may ooooh and aaaah over them but don't bother me with silly questions. It left a very bad taste in my mouth since I had asked a question once regarding culture of his plant and was ignored.

Arthur there is no rule - never was - never will be - that you *have* to use the gallery only to post pics. The picture gallery was a courtesy Spike gave to some forums if they requested them.

The days of contributing to Spike to keep the forum up and running are over - iVillage owns it now.

Brooke

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Who said anything about a rule? It is just a convention. Heading off to the golf course where there are a zillion rules that cover what you do there. There are also things you do at that place that are not covered by any rules.

Getting back to the topic. In her book Emily's states that this particular orchid is found in the Philippines, Borneo, Malaya and Vietnam. With such a wide distribution there is probably a lot of variation in flower shape and colour.

Also, the angle of the photograph is important, though excellent, the photo in post 1 may identification more difficult.

Finally, where do you find the latest information re. species names. Is Cirrhopetalum and all the other split offs from Bulbophyllum obsolete.