Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Sega Turbo upright restore

Following on from this thread ... http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=2765

Long story short: this gem was on eBay, low starting bid and no one interested, so I put in a low speccy bid and won it for $20. Spent another $125 getting it here.

Cab has no chasis and no game pcbs.

I was shocked when I first saw it, it was so filthy. Looked like someone was using it as a garden ornament. But the odd thing was the sideart; it was near perfect. As was the bezel/marquee.

But the CP was ready for the tip. Even after a wet rag, it still looked like 25 year old shit. Today, I bought a $7 bottle of Polyglaze (like armourall) and that made the CP look like new ! Now that turned the wife's smile upside down...now she is keen to play! So now, I guess I have to pull my finger out and find the missing bits so I ... I mean... so SHE can play it. :D

Pics are

1) CP before. ewwwwww

2) CP after

3+4) Sideart. The dark patch on (4) is from the flash. It seems the yellow is a little faded in parts, but thats it.

I will update as I make progress...

=======================================================================================================================

COSTS

$20 - Cabinet off ebay

$125 - Transport from Five Dock to Blacktown

$7 - Dash board cleaning fluid (for CP)

$0 - Chassis (was in there after all)

$0 - PCB (Trade from TheProf)

$0 - 2 x 50-way Cables (Pinched off non working Chernov)

======

$152 - Total

Stuff I spent but didn't need to

$15 - Ribbon cable and IDC connectors (I fucked this up and already had spare cables anyway)

$25 - IDC Connector crimper (Handy to have anyway)

===

$40 - Total

sega_turbo_cab_cp1.jpg.71a887d80fcb428eeca40244d7f76d42.jpg

sega_turbo_cab_cp2.jpg.fed789565d8d522818e135aa535cb394.jpg

sega_turbo_cab_sideart1.jpg.c9551c8dd5b1d2daa3df62764a6dd61a.jpg

sega_turbo_cab_sideart2.jpg.3c5a38705e74015d3185b51e1feb164b.jpg

OK. Today I remembered and interesting thread (I believe it was on VAPS) about crazy things people find in cabs that they have bought from private collectors. Quite a few interesting stories. Looks like I now have one of my own...

I opened up the coin box and looked around and found a bunch of things...

:D The original instruction card that goes under the bezel I am happy about

:D The $1 display thinggy that goes under in the coin slot I am happy about

:D The spare coin rails I am happy about

:o The bhong I am NOT happy about

I mean, WTF? I laughed at first, but now I think about it, I am kinda pissed. I mean, what if a kid found it? What if a friend of mind comes around for a game and finds it and happens to be a cop...or what if cops search the place due to criminal behaviour of others in the house? I get busted and I dont even do drugs, I hate the fuckin things. No, thanks. But, ...oh, yeah...I now see the funny part of it again, so rant over :D

I am now filled with morbid interest as to what else is in this cab. :lol

1823542001_segaturbocrap.jpg.a0c9b08681e791c9995fef485bb874ab.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Couldnt help myself. I just sent this to the seller...

Gday, just thought Id contact you over the Sega Turbo cab, you sold me. I am VERY happy with the cab. But, when I was cleaning it, I opened the coinbox and found several loose parts of the cab...and a used bong. Dont worry, I just laughed and chucked it out. But, please check the cabs you are selling, as other buyers may react differently to what I have. Again, no hassle, just some friendly advice.

Wonder what his reaction will be.:lol

Received a package from TheProf today containing...

* Turbo PCB set

* H/L Gear Shifter

* LED Tacho/Speedo

* The most tangled up harness ever seen by man :lol

Anyways, I pulled the machine out and looked inside. What a mess. So after vacuuming the fuck out of it, I plugged it in. It sounds like a fricking fridge !!! But looks cool all lit up.

Next I plugged in the chassis and the monitor lit up. Another fuck up by the seller. He said the was no chassis.

Tried to hook up the PCB, but lacked 2 50 pin cables. These connect the ROM PCB with the CPU PCB, so I don't expect much to happen without them. Sstandard SCSI2 ones would work. I have a bunch of them, but I'll be fucked if i can find them.

Hey mike just found this while trolling mabe u can use it

Good find. I do indeed have an encrypted version (turboa in MAME-speak).

As an update: I bought some 50 way cable and a bunch of 50 pin IDC connectors, to make those cables. I have made these in the past quite easily, but not 50 way. Proved to be a hassle. So I bought the proper crimping tool...just waiting for it to arrive.

I am gonna try it without the 2716s, they only do the road and character tiles. Should display garbage without them, but sensible garbage. :badgrin If that works, then I will start burning 2716s.

Those damn 50 way flat cables !!! I made a special trip into the city to buy ribbon cable and IDC connectors, to make these cables. I bought 6 connectors. After trashing one using the vice method, I bought the proper tool off eBay.

Once the tool had arrived, I proceeded to trash another connector, make 3 perfect connectors (1.5 cables) and fuck up the last connector I had...arrrggghhh.

I then looked through my pile of non-working PCBs and noticed that Chernov uses the same 50 way cables :rolleyes.

I then test using the newly acquired Chernov cables, and...IT WORKS !!!

Monitor & Chassis : Bright and crisp

LED score panel : Displays 0 scores as it should (though could be brighter)

Sound/controls/etc : Couldnt test as it was not set up for freeplay. In fact, I dont think Turbo has freeplay. :unsure

None of the 2716s are populated. So all the character tiles and road is garbage until I burn them. Oh, and it is upside down (need to use the other connector on the chassis)

Not bad for a $20 cabinet with a PCB from a trade (big thanks, Prof)

Virgil : Let me know what you want and I will help you out

061102a.jpg.92cead1bd0c77467c0ead50290cfed0a.jpg

061102b.jpg.2ab4fef8948ba0c2a9b3fe23ff07ce2a.jpg

I vacuum cleaned the pcbs today, and noticed a ROM was missing. Looking at the ROMs around it, it would be MPR-1289 (by memory) and would be a masked ROM (2364). I do have a 2764 here to replace it, but these ROMs are not dumped (well, they are not in the MAME sets).

Sorry to invade.. I've been reading the thread and damn that cab's turned out a treat, but at the mention of Out Run I must ask, are you selling and if so how much? Also know where to track down an Out Runners board at all?

Back to Turbo... you are one hell of a lucky man. Here's hoping you get that one last problem sorted

Also if Virgil is missing one EPROM, isn't it possible that you could have what each other wants and solve both of your problems?

Long story, medium...I went to program the 2716s but couldn't because I needed an Eprom Eraser. Bought one from Honk Kong, didn't realize that my PayPal was just shirt, eCheck=waiting + $40 fee when it hit my account because that was a couple of bucks short also. grrrr.:x

When the Eraser arrived, I erased some 2716s and tried to program. But, couldn't due to 2716s requiring Vpp @ 25V. My eprommer could only go to 21V...hmmm...after a day searching forums, etc I whacked a bigarse power supply onto the emprommer and wrote 2 2716s !!! YES! My first time burning a ROM.

I put all the PCBs into the cab. It had a rack in there already. I tied up the cables so its not just one big tangle. I also changed the connector on the chassis to flip the image. The result you see in the pics.

Unfortunately, there seems to be a EPROM error causing those horizontal lines. Probably a pin bent or otherwise not connecting. One of the EPROMs had pins with globs of solder, so I guess that is it. :unsure

There seems to be a power issue as the game resets when bumped. I figure that this is the broken cap near the power connector. I will replace that next.

I figured out that although the game does not have a free play mode, you can add credits via the service button.

Test mode revealed that one of the 7 segment LEDs is missing a segment.

The control panel is not connected except for the steering wheel, which didn't seem to be behaving as it should in test mode. It only changed the value 3-4 times per rotation.

===================================

OFF TOPIC NOTE FOR GOOGLE LINKED LURKERS

===================================

The missus had my good digital camera. So I had to use an old cheapy. But had trouble getting the images to the PC due to the lack of drivers. Searching the net only caused me to find dozens of threads the world over of people needing these drivers and know-it-alls replying with useless links. A bit of experimentation and I had it working. Heres the goods...

Camera = Digigr8 DV182 . It comes up under windows as SunPlus SPCA533 but doesnt like any drivers around.

You do not need drivers for this camera!!!

You only need to do these steps once, as the setting will save...

1) Turn on the camera.

2) Press the RED button on the keypad. Then MENU/OK. Then keep pressing the right arrow until USB appears. Select MSCD and press MENU/OK

You need to do this every time...

3) Turn on the camera.

4) Plug in the USB cable. LCD will now say "PC Camera"

5) Press the RED button on the keypad and LCD will now say "MSDC". You should now be linked to windows.

061115a.thumb.jpg.37cbc85b78b5add15cdc8b22fb664b2e.jpg

061115b.jpg.c8516b6e147655e33df3784370d9c442.jpg

Hi Mike.

I just got delivered a sega outrun and sega turbo outrun pcbs.I cant find any pinouts on the net.If you have the pinouts can you email them to me.I tell you it gonna be one hell of a harness.That many inputs on the pcbs.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'm not sure if these will have what you need but it might havs some helpfull info

I think the last page on one of those docs has a pinot of sorts?? Check it out, it might be what you are looking for.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~stuartpotter/arcademanuals/Outrun%20(Upright)%20(Owner's)%20(U).zip

http://members.iinet.net.au/~stuartpotter/arcademanuals/Outrun%20Standard%20Sitdown.zip

http://members.iinet.net.au/~stuartpotter/arcademanuals/Outrun%20Turbo%20(Supplement)%20(New%20Parts%20&%20Replacements)%20(U).zip

* Reseated the character ROMs. This fixed the horizontal lines.

* Replaced the broken cap near the power connector. This appears to have fixed the power issue and color seems better now. :unsure

* Burnt 5 of the 9 road roms, including IC74 that appears to be a lookup from the other 8 (1 each of the 8 levels).

Huge improvement. Machine is starting to yell "PLAY ME".

I still need to...

* Wire up the CP and pedal. Both have had their wires cut. WTF?

* Look into the lack of sound. I think this has something to do with some other loose wires in the cab that have been cut.

* Burn the rest of the road roms. Need to clean up some more of these little buggers.

* Replace the missing sprite rom. This is causing some cars to look like infinitly tall white towers. Problem is the missing rom is a mask rom. I think I can get around this and use a 2764.

* Then its some mods. Like the digital tacho, replace the gear shift, etc.

061115c.jpg.a34f3a4e7874d563dd7b5860837081e9.jpg