Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jawad7

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2003
I'm running an Intel Core 2 iMac 20" with Leopard.

I've just purchased a HP Officejet J5780 All-in-One (fax, scanner, printer, copier, etc). I'm coming to install the software from the CD but it doesn't seem to be working - i was wondering if anyone else knows of the same problem. I get to the stage where it asks me if i want to participate in some HP scheme - no matter what option i choose the install proceeds no further and it just remains on the 'Installation Type' section. I click Install and it comes up again to see if i want to participate in the questionnaire programme.

I've downloaded the software of the HP website - thinking there maybe a problem with the CD but am still getting the same problem.

Any suggestions of how to get the software on my mac?

mkelberer

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
Same issue with 7500 series

I've been trying to install the HP software for the Officejet 7580 and have the same problem - both with the install CD that came with it and with the same software downloaded from HP. Anyone figured out a workaround?

macpundit

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2003
A workaround...

Use the driver for the HP Photosmart 8200 series, until HP releases the installer for Leopard (which they tell me will be around Christmas).

I just set up an OfficeJet J5780 for a client, and that driver will work AND print in color.

Keith M. Sedor
Apple Certified Macintosh Consultant
Computer Consultants Group
Member - Apple Consultants Network / Apple Certification Alliance
applemacintosh [at] consultant [dot] com

vixspix

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
finally working YESSSSSSS

I like the wording "print only" function. This is the term used to get us by. But I give HP credit. They delivered what they said they would do. Go to the HP site and download the HP software 9.7 . I bought a HP OJ 5780 and the software was 8.0 I think. WON'T LOAD. That's okay the new software works great, I can use my scanner now and the no problems printing. No workarounds. For you newtorkers, I don't know that much, I plug in directly to my MacMini, no hub. And yes I'm unsing OS 10.5.

mkelberer

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
Doesn't work for 7580

Hi - I just downloaded the 9.7 software and it doesn't recognize the 7580 printer so it won't run the setup, so you still can't use the scanner or fax...
Michael:mad:

vixspix

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2007
You didn't mention what your mac setup is, OS, etc... I did an upgrade to 10.5 before installing the HP software it works fine, even got an Imac in another room to use it via print share. The more details you give the more others know what the issue is, just my expierence or lack of. :)

mkelberer

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2007
More info

Hi - I'm running Leopard with all updates on an iMac with 3 gigs of memory and plenty of hard drive. The very specific problem is that the 9.7 software doesn't recognize the Officejet Pro 7580. It intalls fine, but I can't run the setup because of that lack of recognition. I tried just running scan program anyway, but it can't find the printer either.
Specifically:
1. I start Setup
2. On the "Select Device" screen, no devices are listed. I check the "my device is not listed box" and "continue"
3. I get three options: OJ 5600 series, OJ 7400 series, OJ Pro L7400
4. If I then select "my device is not listed" again, it tells me the "device is not supported by this installer". If I select any of the three options, it immediately gives me the same message.
5. Similarly, trying to use any of the 9.7 programs fails because they also can't "see" the printer.

appleman12345

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
Leopard Install

I get to the participate section, and it still wont go. I did an upgrade of leopard on my MBP and it worked I believe. Then i did a clean install later on, and thats currently how i cant get it to load. Any help?? Whoever has it working, can you email me or post or something all the applications that come with it, and the driver and stuff that came with it?

droopydog

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2008
I get to the participate section, and it still wont go. I did an upgrade of leopard on my MBP and it worked I believe. Then i did a clean install later on, and thats currently how i cant get it to load. Any help?? Whoever has it working, can you email me or post or something all the applications that come with it, and the driver and stuff that came with it?

It is a few months after this last post. I just upgraded to leopard and I am having the same problems described above. When I install the 7580 as a network printer, it installs fine, but any attempts to print result in the error: "Communication Failure: The computer is no longer able to communicate with your printer. Turn the printer off, check your printer connections and check for printer errors, and turn the printer back on." I am able to print to it if I connect the printer as a usb printer, but that is not a viable permanent option because of the location of the printer.

Attempts to install the software still result in the endless loop described previously.

Has anyone been able to get a 7580 working over the network?

appleman12345

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
Ive Found The Solution

TO ALL THE PEOPLE READING, ITS BEEN A LONG TOUGH ROAD! but after getting another mbp i felt as though it was my duty to try again! After going to the hp site i found them. heres the link, it works great, better than the drivers and software it comes with for tiger. CAN YOU SAY FULL FUNCTIONALITY PLUS MUCH MORE!?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3301296&os=219&lang=en

good luck, and tell me about your success or if you run into any problems.

timvogel

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2009
are we there then

I am looking at buying a Officejet J5780. does it now work with the latest operating system?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.